Considering this for salad storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A package of one of these came with my new refrigerator. I have two crisper drawers and the one drawer that has it does a much better job with the produce than the one without it. That says a lot to me. I'm glad you brought it up as I need to get two more because they don't last forever.

I'm thinking of getting the OXO Produce Keeper container, so I can store the greens in them. Wondering if that's better than putting the bag in the crisper bin with the Crisper Insert.

Has anyone used the OXO Greensaver Produce Keeper to store salad greens sold in bags at the grocery store?

Here's the link to it:
https://www.oxo.com/products/storage-organization/greensaver

I usually keep greens (mesclun and arugula) in the bags they're sold in, but they seem to have a very short shelf life. What's the best way to store greens to make them last longer?

I've found that I get a lot better shelf life with original bags if I just use a bag clip to keep them closed tight. I just don't have room in the fridge for something as bulky as those Oxo keepers.

I have a Tupperware produce keeper that is similar. It's a size that works well instead of a crisper drawer. It works quite well. If you want to put produce in it in a bag, I would make sure the bag was wide open.

I have had Romaine lettuce and curly lettuce stay fresh for weeks by making sure that air can get into the plastic bag. I just close the bag with a single clothes pin. If it is airtight, the lettuce gets slimy. I do turn the lettuce so the leaves are at the bottom of the bag and the bottoms are near the opening. Some people suggest putting a folded paper towel in the bag.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to open the bag as soon as I bring it home from the grocery store and use a bag clip so it's ventilated. If that doesn't work I may try the Greensaver containers. They got excellent reviews on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom