"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have two air insulated, non-stick (yeah, right!) jelly roll/cookie sheets of unknown origin (I am guessing Martha-Mart or Wally World), so I can alternate, one baking in the oven while I load up the other with my mini-ice cream scoop. Cookies only take 8 to 12 minuters, so ya gotta be a fast cookie sheet loader!

Pizza I put directly on a pizza stone, no pan required. I do, however have two pizza pans around somewhere that someone left behind when they moved out of somewhere I was moving in. One is a coated steel pan and the other is aluminium with a whole bunch of holes in it. If I needed them right now, I couldn't possibly tell you where they got to. I would have to conduct a thorough search of the entire house.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
Cook

I have an assortment of cookie sheets some of which I inherited from my Mother. I always use parchment/pan liner when I bake cookies. We have a GFS Marketplace store near our home where I can purchase pan liners for a reasonable cost. These are full sheet pan size so I have to cut to size which is not a big issue. These make for easy non stick baking and fast clean up.

I have some pizza pans that we purchased at Bed, Bath & Beyond. They are Teflon coated and have multiple holes in the bottom for better crust baking. I usually just use a wooden peel and place the pizza directly on our well seasoned baking stone.

I consider the dough/crust and sauce the most important ingredients in pizza making. That is why I make my own pizza dough and use sauce we make from our home grown tomatoes.

Our son told me that he thinks we have the pizza thing down pat.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
For the last couple years I have been using baking sheets that I got at Sam's - a three pack for about $10.

They are heavy duty/restaurant quality and work for cookies, roasting veggies, baking chicken and chops etc. I love 'em!
I use these pans for alot of things too. I even make pizza in them! When we have pzza for a crowd, I can make several this size and have lots of pizza for everyone. If I'm just making for my family, I use the Pampered Chef baking stone bar pan or the oblong sheet. The round stones are used by my kids for frozen pizzas.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I have the Sams baking sheets too. They are really heavy duty and one of the best bargains I ever got. We have a pizza stone and a pizza pan that I would like to retire. I think that the stone is much better for crisp crust.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
Head Chef

We bought the Presto Pizza Oven in December. I would not go back to the oven/pan for anything in the world. They now cost about $40 at WW. You can also use them for frozen french fries....crispy. There are many other things that you can put on it as long as it is not too tall. If you wanted a dozen cookies, you could make them on it. You still need a pizza pan to transfer the pizza onto for cutting and serving (not a big deal....sometimes we use an everyday glass serving platter....you can cut the pizza on the platter too)

As for cookie sheets and/or pizza pans, it is the color of the pan that will make the difference in the baking process. A non-stick coated sheet/pan is going to have a variable in the heat distribution. Check your favorite recipes before you purchase.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Sam's Air Bake Aluminium - Not Good for Crispy

I have Industrial Aluminum Air Bake sheet pans. This are identical or nearly identical to the sheet pans sold at Sam's. My old pans were cheap non-stick ones. While the new sheet pans are great for many things, I find that is much more difficult to get food crispy.

I would like to get a pair of sheet pans that are thinner and more heat conductive for cooking crispy foods. I thought S/S would be great, but I can only find them at kitchen fantasy (expensive.) What would you recommend for this purpose (not non-stick please?)
Old 06-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
lentesubigo, I really can't answer your question. We still have a pair of restaurant-quality aluminum pizza pans (not airbake) that we've had for almost 25 years. They have performed beautifully and we have no desire to replace them.

We also have a pizza "screen" purchased at a restaurant supply house we use occasionally, as well as some clay tiles we bought at a home center (Lowe's, The Home Depot, etc.) that we use for pizza and rustic breads.

Be patient. More answers will assuredly come.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #18
Senior Cook

These are cheep and work great for a number of things.

Pizza Pans - Restaurant Equipment at KaTom Restaurant Supply
Old 06-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
My double walled cookie sheets, which I would actually call jelly roll pans, are Ekco. I use a pizza stone, so I don't need a pizza pan.

AS far as Pampered Chef is concerned, their products are good quality, but their prices are somewhat unreasonable. I was looking for one of those apple wedge cutters/corers in all stainless steel, no plastic, to repalce the one that fell apart on me after 10 or so years. Pampered Chef was selling one for, I think, around 11 bucks American. I found the same one on the gadget wall at Le Gourmet Chef for $3.00 U.S.D.!