"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-14-2004, 08:19 PM   #11
Master Chef

I just got a copy of Cook's Illustrated magazine (America's Test Kitchen) a couple of days ago and they had a review of the Orka silicone mitt. Their results were essentially the same as PA Baker's experiences. They are bulky, akward (especially for someone with small hands) and make your hands sweaty. They concluded that the only thing they would use it for would be to move a hot grill rack - otherwise they would stick to a traditional mitt of potholder or slotted spoon or tongs.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:45 AM   #12
Sous Chef

AP NEWSFLASH:
Traffic was heavy on The Beltway this morning as throngs of foodies flocked to Mudbug's TarJay store to avail themselves of her employee discount.

Old 10-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter
AP NEWSFLASH:
Traffic was heavy on The Beltway this morning as throngs of foodies flocked to Mudbug's TarJay store to avail themselves of her employee discount.
Tune in to Fox News tonite for important commentary on this social phenomenon from Freddie and Mort! Mudbug's people are talking to Brit's people about an exclusive interview.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:35 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to pst1can
Silicone oven gloves....

I sell these gloves in my stores...I do my best to make people realize the pros and cons of this product...it is amazing when people see something on TV and they think it must be the best product. My opinion of these is they are not good...if you get any moisture in them if you pick something up hot enough the item will turn that moisture to steam>>>that means burn. The product that I sell and own myself are not the cheapest...or are not the best fashion statement and is produced by a company called "Tucker Industries"...there web site is www.burnguard.com You can accidently touch your gloves with raw meat....go to the sink and wash your gloves off with soap and water....forget you have to take something out of the oven, put your gloves back on and remove your dinner....the gloves will steam but they will not burn you!!! These gloves are the best things made.....Try get a pair you will not be sorry. Pst 8)
Old 10-19-2004, 02:05 PM   #15
Master Chef

I call my silicone mitt "Orka."

Orka is fantastic for outdoor grilling (I do a lot of it), tending the fireplace and working with jars and a boiling water bath. Also good for things like picking up and turning a whole chicken or turkey. And they clean up easily (good when you are grabbing a hot pork butt ).

I am very glad I have one. Will be buying another.

They are not very good at all for your average everyday use, ala taking hot pans from the oven, changing oven rack position, etc. They are not flexible which makes it difficult to handle many things, especially smaller items (my oven went down 100 degrees in temp in the time it took Orka and I to pick up the hot oven thermometer :roll: ).
Old 10-20-2004, 09:22 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I bought a few nice mitts from William Sonoma for everyday use.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:50 AM   #17
Sous Chef

I flip chichens and turkeys during the cooking cycle to get more even cooking, and that is what cause most of the need for washing, even tho I'm careful. I'm thinking maybe I could use aluminum foil instead.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:54 PM   #18
Senior Cook

You take it out of the oven and turn it over? I've never been able to master that, burned myself too many times and just gave up. The meat is really very nice when its cooked liked that.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:12 PM   #19
Sous Chef

deb, it's worth the hassle of turning for me to get the great final result. I started doing it based on a Cooking Illustrated recommendation, and I haven't done it any other way since. Now I'm thinking: wear the mitts and use aluminum foil both, in case the aluminum foil heats up quickly.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:47 PM   #20
Master Chef

Im like Otter -- usually haul the thing out and flip it. The orkas are great for that.