Cutting Board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobsanX

Sous Chef
I'm in the market for a new durable cutting board, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the selection that's out there. Is there any consensus about material (wood, bamboo, plastic).

Weight is not an issue, nor is difficulty in cleaning. I'd like to keep the cost under $100...

Thanks for the suggestions!:)

Maybe not the best but I love my flexible plastic ones. Use them and toss them in the dishwasher ... throw them away when they get icky and they are so cheap I don't mind replacing.

I use the plastic ones exclusively. They go into the dishwasher after each use so are eassy to clean and sanitize if I use the super hot cycle in the DW. If they get stained after a while I just use a light bleach and water solution on them. They cost a lot less than wood.

Cutting boards

:chef: I have two cutting boards. I use my wooden cutting board for vegetables. I use my plastic board for meats. :chef:

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the idea of having two types. A plastic one for meat that is easily washable in the dishwasher, and a nice wooden one for vegetables that can stay out as a decoration too...

For vegetables and fruits, an END grain wood cutting board from TheBoardsmith or Boos is the only way to go with one exception, Sani-Tuff rubber boards which are used by thousands of commercial kitchen world wide. Everything else including plastic, glass, granite, EDGE grain wood, and bamboo (read a mixture of grass and glue) will make short work of your edges.

For beets, meats and especially fish, plastic is the best way to go for sanitation reasons if you are careful with edge pressure at the end of the cut. Personally, I like a separate end grain wooden board for red meat.

I think this thread should be located in the knife section. Those who really know knives and steel also know a lot about boards. I found this by accident.

Back
Top Bottom