Cutting Board Materials?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wood/bamboo included (very good) and I don't worry too much about "cross contamination" if all ingredients are being cooked. However, if I am serving raw items, then I really pay attention to "sterile" technique and separation of items. SO I have a big board for "cooking" and others for preping raw items. I don't make sushi at home (yet) but I still have a fish board for preping items for seviche etc. and one for salad items.

I'm very happy with my bamboo cutting board. It is 16 percent harder than other hardwood cutting boards. I've heard they've started selling them at Costco for cheap but have also heard that they are poorly made. My husband does woodworking so whenever my board start getting deep grooves in them, he takes them to sand and refinish them but I've never had to do that with my bamboo since it has done so well. My bamboo board is made of end grain, which my husband says is better for your knives. He could explain why but I don't think I will attempt to. You can usually tell if they are end grain if it looks like a lot of small squares or rectangles of wood glued together, rather than the long strips of wood.

I also like the cheap plastic cutting boards for cutting meat on since I can throw it in the dishwasher afterward. These are just the cheap thin bendable ones that are just a few dollars. They are great for grating cheese on, cutting berries (it will stain on the wood) and for taking camping. I also put one under my standing mixer so it's easier to move.

I hope this is helpful! And good luck!
-Brooke

Last edited:
There's another cutting board material that hasn't been mentioned. It's a composite called richlite I believe. I have a board called Epicurian. It's kind to the knife blade and is very durable and can be put in the dishwasher. I've had my board for about a year and it still is in great shape. I bought mine at a local kitchenware shop, but it's also sold online at places like amazon.com, cooking.com, Sur la Table and some others. They also have a website. http://epicureancs.com/ I think it's better than the plastic.

We have both wood and plastic. We have different colored ones, for different foods.

For the plastic ones (because in competition they get cut up really bad), peroidically we grind down the cut marks. And it gets rid of all the stringy pieces too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom