Cutting Board Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't use wood boards because good ones are quite expensive and require more care.

AMEN!!!
I have one wood board that I use to slice cook meats like turkey, ham, etc as it has a lip that collects all the juices and it doesn't make a mess on the counter!!

Interesting and informative conversation.;)

I have a large cutting board made of bamboo, that I leave on the counter all the time and use it for everything. I really like the look of it too. Although bamboo can be very expensive, I found it at Marshall's where they have many top of the line cooking items at a discount price. It's the best cutting board I've ever had, and shows not one cut mark. Someone else brought this up......I never use a serrated knife on it however.
I'd highly recommend bamboo.

I had a bamboo board for a while and while it looked great it was hell on my blades. It dulled them faster than anything else I have used. I now have an end grain wood board on my counter at all times which I use for non-meat, but I also have plastic boards in my cabinet. I prefer the look and feel of the wood board, but I find I use the plastic the most as it goes in the dishwasher.

My husband the biologist says that wooden boards have natural tannins that inhibit bacterial growth. In all my long years of just doing the best I can without stressing over germs, I am happy to report that I have never poisoned anyone.

Back
Top Bottom