"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise

I've seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond. I don't know the technical name for the material, but they don't look quite like wood or plastic. Here's a link to an example:

Epicurean® Large Dishwasher-Safe Board in Cutting Boards | Crate&Barrel
Yes I just posted a link to them and saw that they were a bit pricey and not as pretty as bamboo.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #32
Sous Chef

The food does the talking, the cutting board doesn't. No one is going to remember your cutting board when they're eating the delicious food you made.
Also consider that a cutting board is one of the most used, yet overlooked, utensils in the kitchen, and its performance directly correlates to that of your knife's. A one-time investment on an elite cutting board is worth it if you ask me, considering the long-term payoff. My pulp/resin board has lasted repeated abuse (not use) over the time I've had it and it almost looks brand new unless you hold it in the right light, where you can make out the slightest cutting marks. Bacteria doesn't infest if like plastic, where you get those dark lines in it where your knife sliced, or wood that you have to occasionally wipe with oil and eventually sand. Like I said, it's a maintenance-free cutting surface. The cost is worth it, and despite that I got mine free, I wouldn't look elsewhere, ever.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
The food does the talking, the cutting board doesn't. No one is going to remember your cutting board when they're eating the delicious food you made.
Also consider that a cutting board is one of the most used, yet overlooked, utensils in the kitchen, and its performance directly correlates to that of your knife's. A one-time investment on an elite cutting board is worth it if you ask me, considering the long-term payoff. My pulp/resin board has lasted repeated abuse (not use) over the time I've had it and it almost looks brand new unless you hold it in the right light, where you can make out the slightest cutting marks. Bacteria doesn't infest if like plastic, where you get those dark lines in it where your knife sliced, or wood that you have to occasionally wipe with oil and eventually sand. Like I said, it's a maintenance-free cutting surface. The cost is worth it, and despite that I got mine free, I wouldn't look elsewhere, ever.
However, you must be aware that a pulp/resin board is as hard on a knife edge as a bamboo cutting board.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #34
Sous Chef

I have nothing against bamboo boards, and I don't recommend against them. But I most-recommend the pulp/resin boards based on my experience.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise
Sounds like this board is worth the money. Do you have it in tan or black? I'm wondering if the tan would show stains from certain foods like beets.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaNY View Post
Well there is a difference between wood and bamboo. Bamboo is actually a grass and is pretty soft. It tends to be a slower surface then plastic or wood. I am not an expert on bamboo but if the epoxy used is hard on knives then I would skip it and invest in a a hardwood like rock maple or walnut.

I think wood and plastic have their places in a kitchen. I use plastic for raw meats and wood for vegetation and such. With proper are a wood board will last forever.

Wood cutting boards require a little more attention then plastic ones and should not be put in a dish washer. I oil mine with mineral oil about once a month or whenever it looks dry in order to keep it from cracking. Wood has natural disinfectant qualities and draws bacteria into the wood where it dies. I also rub it with kosher salt and lemon juice, which bacteria does not like.

Wood can be sanitized with a 1 tbsp bleach to gallon of water solution. After you wash it with warm soapy water spray on a thin layer and allow it to air dry.

Once a year I sand it down a little bit and rub in some more mineral oil. You can use walnut oil too but I have nut allergies.

Hope this helps
Oh, kosher salt for bacteria? Suppose they are jewish too. I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. I do agree with you on maintaining cutting boards. Down here in far south texas [500 miles south of dallas] we have to do the disinfectant thing very frequently.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #37
Sous Chef

I have the tan version. In all the years I've owned it, it looks practically brand new. I've never had an issue with staining, though I've never tried to cut beets on it so I can't attest to that aspect specifically. Everything seems to wash right off of it though.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #38
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
As someone else said, this discussion comes up now and then and there's never any definite conclusion.
I have a beautiful bamboo board I leave out all the time, and I enjoy it very much for an everyday work surface. It always looks beautiful, there's virtually no maintenance involved. If you want one, for heaven sakes don't let anyone talk you out of it. If I really need a plastic board for prep work, I pull it out from under the sink, and then throw it in the dishwasher. There's no law to say you can't have both.
I'm exactly the same way, Kayelle. I have a beautiful wooden board that is out all of the time. My kitchen is tiny, so it really extends counter-space. Pizza from the oven will land on it, etc. Occasionally, I will chop up some herbs, nuts, or veggies with it. For meats and major prep work, I use plastic or a bamboo board that I got from Target.

Since my large wooden board was built specifically for a spot in my kitchen, I ordered it from an artist on Etsy. For those who are in the market, I'm very happy with her work to the point that I bought a second board from her for Frank's mother. It was a bit spendy, but much less so to have one custom-made over ordering from many places online for pre-made boards. The boards are even more beautiful than the pictures on her website. Plus, Delia is simply SO nice.

Kathleen
Old 12-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I'm exactly the same way, Kayelle. I have a beautiful wooden board that is out all of the time. My kitchen is tiny, so it really extends counter-space. Pizza from the oven will land on it, etc. Occasionally, I will chop up some herbs, nuts, or veggies with it. For meats and major prep work, I use plastic or a bamboo board that I got from Target.

Since my large wooden board was built specifically for a spot in my kitchen, I ordered it from an artist on Etsy. For those who are in the market, I'm very happy with her work to the point that I bought a second board from her for Frank's mother. It was a bit spendy, but much less so to have one custom-made over ordering from many places online for pre-made boards. The boards are even more beautiful than the pictures on her website. Plus, Delia is simply SO nice. Kathleen

Her boards are really beautiful Kathleen! I love the multi colored wood. Actually for the quality, the price is quite reasonable. I like the fact they have no feet and are reversible so one side can be left beautifully pristine with no cut marks. If company is coming, just flip it over......

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #40
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Her boards are really beautiful Kathleen! I love the multi colored wood. Actually for the quality, the price is quite reasonable. I like the fact they have no feet and are reversible so one side can be left beautifully pristine with no cut marks. If company is coming, just flip it over......
[/FONT]
I try to keep one side for company, Kayelle. Honestly, even when used a lot, they oil up like new. Delia even had a selection of woods to choose from for my custom board. She made small bevels to make it more finished, but they are very slight as I wanted the board to set over one of the drainer sections on my sink without slipping. It fits perfectly. After a year of hard use, the board is as beautiful as the day I received it. The only maintenance it has needed it a rare wiping with oil.

As for her price, I could not find anything even close to this quality with better prices. I'll definitely buy from her again whether it is for me or for a gift.