"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #41
Head Chef
Here's an option, err, I guess.
So dad, how do you like the iPad we got you? [VIDEO]

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #42
Assistant Cook
Thumbs up Wood Boards

I am LOVING these comments!! I have had plastic cutting boards for years. I get a cheap wooden board and loved it till it broke. I have been doing a TON of research on plastic vs. Wood. From what I have found, wood is the winner. Better for knives and better for getting rid of bacteria. My Brother is a flooring salesman for a wonderful small family owned company. He gets a ton of questions about Bamboo. The issue is that bamboo is organically "GROWN" but after that, there is a ton of non organic additives that are put into the product. Wood grain boards are beautiful and last many lifetimes!! All you gotta do is take care of them. LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

The Butcher Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #43
Head Chef
I have a couple of olive wood boards which are beautiful, I tend to use them mainly for serving food on - makes a great display for cheeses, olives, dips, that sort of thing.
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #44
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8
I've been using an OXO plastic cutting board and am thinking of getting a larger bamboo one. I love the look of bamboo but am wondering how hard it will be to clean and maintain. Looking forward to any suggestions!
I use a plastic one for chopping so I can sanitize it after. And I use my mothers old wooded bread board for the breads I bake :) she got it when my parents were first married in 72 :) I love it but only for breads.
Dengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #45
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise
I highly recommend the wood pulp/resin type. It's the most sanitary, low-maintenance, knife edge-keeping cutting surface you can get. Wood is a close second. I think plastic boards are crap.
I was lucky enough to strike up a conversation on another forum about cutting board sanitation and use when a guy who works for a company that distributes the wood pulp/resin boards offered me a free sample. This was some 10 or so years ago when you couldn't buy them at Bed Bath & Beyond, and were only distributed to professional kitchens. I said sure, and he sent me a 24"x18" totally free! They're heat resistant, and I can honestly say I don't think I'll need to buy a new cutting board ever again. It's all the benefits of wood and plastic, with none of the downsides of either. I can't recommend this type enough.
Plastic boards are not crap. Yes I have seen some crappy ones mind you but not all. I have a nice sturdy one and I absolutely love it for my vegetables and so forth
Dengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #46
Certifiable Executive Chef
Site Administrator
Another vote here for epicurean boards. I have one (the brown one) I've been using for 5 years daily - still looks great! I even used it to cut tile on during our kitchen reno!

The rectangular boards with a handle cut out are my favorite size (22 x 10) - handy, lightweight and awesome for serving baguettes and other long breads. Here's a pic so you know what to expect after several years of abuse. Note the blotchy bit in the center of the black board is water - I wiped em off before snapping a pic ;)

Click image for larger version

Name:	wet boards.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	13414
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by blissful
This is a hoot!
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #48
Sous Chef
I bought an Epicurean board and am loving it. I'm glad I heard about it on this forum. It's easy to clean, easy on knives, and looks nice on my counter.
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #49
Senior Cook
I've always used plastic, and haven't had any issues. I've heard in numerous places that bamboo boards are hard on knives.
danbuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #50
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by danbuter View Post
I've always used plastic, and haven't had any issues. I've heard in numerous places that bamboo boards are hard on knives.

I agree on plastic boards.

While bamboo itself isn't super hard, the epoxy that binds the bamboo into a board is so hard it's a danger to knife edges.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote