Cutting board suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wood Boards

I am LOVING these comments!! I have had plastic cutting boards for years. I get a cheap wooden board and loved it till it broke. I have been doing a TON of research on plastic vs. Wood. From what I have found, wood is the winner. Better for knives and better for getting rid of bacteria. My Brother is a flooring salesman for a wonderful small family owned company. He gets a ton of questions about Bamboo. The issue is that bamboo is organically "GROWN" but after that, there is a ton of non organic additives that are put into the product. Wood grain boards are beautiful and last many lifetimes!! All you gotta do is take care of them. LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

I have a couple of olive wood boards which are beautiful, I tend to use them mainly for serving food on - makes a great display for cheeses, olives, dips, that sort of thing.

kitchengoddess8 said:
I've been using an OXO plastic cutting board and am thinking of getting a larger bamboo one. I love the look of bamboo but am wondering how hard it will be to clean and maintain. Looking forward to any suggestions!

I use a plastic one for chopping so I can sanitize it after. And I use my mothers old wooded bread board for the breads I bake :) she got it when my parents were first married in 72 :) I love it but only for breads.

no mayonnaise said:
I highly recommend the wood pulp/resin type. It's the most sanitary, low-maintenance, knife edge-keeping cutting surface you can get. Wood is a close second. I think plastic boards are crap.
I was lucky enough to strike up a conversation on another forum about cutting board sanitation and use when a guy who works for a company that distributes the wood pulp/resin boards offered me a free sample. This was some 10 or so years ago when you couldn't buy them at Bed Bath & Beyond, and were only distributed to professional kitchens. I said sure, and he sent me a 24"x18" totally free! They're heat resistant, and I can honestly say I don't think I'll need to buy a new cutting board ever again. It's all the benefits of wood and plastic, with none of the downsides of either. I can't recommend this type enough.

Plastic boards are not crap. Yes I have seen some crappy ones mind you but not all. I have a nice sturdy one and I absolutely love it for my vegetables and so forth

Another vote here for epicurean boards. I have one (the brown one) I've been using for 5 years daily - still looks great! I even used it to cut tile on during our kitchen reno!

The rectangular boards with a handle cut out are my favorite size (22 x 10) - handy, lightweight and awesome for serving baguettes and other long breads. Here's a pic so you know what to expect after several years of abuse. Note the blotchy bit in the center of the black board is water - I wiped em off before snapping a pic ;)

wet boards.jpg

I bought an Epicurean board and am loving it. I'm glad I heard about it on this forum. It's easy to clean, easy on knives, and looks nice on my counter.

I've always used plastic, and haven't had any issues. I've heard in numerous places that bamboo boards are hard on knives.

I've always used plastic, and haven't had any issues. I've heard in numerous places that bamboo boards are hard on knives.

I agree on plastic boards.

While bamboo itself isn't super hard, the epoxy that binds the bamboo into a board is so hard it's a danger to knife edges.

Which plastic cutting boards do you have?

I've been using a set of Multi-color, flexible plastic mats. The color coding makes it easy to avoid cross contamination and they're so much easier to store than my collection of hardwood boards that are seeing less and less action. A set of 4 is about 10 bucks, so if I replace them even once a year it's pretty reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a walnut board and a plastic board. When I replaced my plastic board recently (after 5 years of use) I made sure it had a non-slip edge so that it won't slide around on my granite counter. I used to hate chasing the old one around. What a great discussion. Sorry I came in so late :) hehehe

I now have two of these:

Cutting Board - Large with Juice Wells | Buy Quality Kitchenware at PamperedChef.com

The "wells" are great for when you are coring pineapple or dicing a lot of tomatoes (especially during canning season). I have one for meat, the other for veggies and fruit.

(In Canada):

Large Cutting Board with Juice Wells : The Pampered Chef, Ltd. - Shopping)

I also made a bunch (well, 3) cutting boards by laminating the birch cut-offs from the birch floor we installed in the bedroom in May-June. I sealed them with WATCO food safe finish for butcherblock countertops (I picked that up at Lowes in the US). Cutting boards are like strainers--I can never have enough of them. I also have a 18" x 12" x 2" solid maple cutting board (homemade). I run that through the DW, clean it with bleach. It has taken a lot of abuse over the years.

If you are in Canada and decide to get one of the PC cutting boards and want to use my consultant #, PM me.

Last edited:
I have a walnut board and a plastic board. When I replaced my plastic board recently (after 5 years of use) I made sure it had a non-slip edge so that it won't slide around on my granite counter. I used to hate chasing the old one around. What a great discussion. Sorry I came in so late :) hehehe
A trick to keeping the "plastic" ones from slipping around is to take a damp cloth and put it under it on the counter top.

Back
Top Bottom