Cutting board suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve Kroll said:
Having used both wood and plastic boards over the years, I am now firmly in the plastic camp. They're less expensive (I have three cutting boards for different uses), lighter weight, dishwasher safe, and take up less storage space. And when they finally wear out (and make no mistake, they do wear out), I can toss it away with very little remorse and get another.

Thanks Steve. What brand of plastic boards do you use?

Lots of things to consider when shopping for a board.

1. Do you want it to be pretty? If so, buy the prettiest board you can afford and forget all the rest.
2. Do you have really expensive knives that you want to take really good care of? If so, buy the board that's best in that category and forget all the rest.

Andy M. said:
Lots of things to consider when shopping for a board.

1. Do you want it to be pretty? If so, buy the prettiest board you can afford and forget all the rest.
2. Do you have really expensive knives that you want to take really good care of? If so, buy the board that's best in that category and forget all the rest.

Hi Andy. I have only one good Wustof knife but the others are average quality. I need to upgrade my knives but am not yet ready to do that. Would using a plastic board damage my Wustof knife? What is the best brand of plastic boards?

Thanks Steve. What brand of plastic boards do you use?
Lately I've been buying these for veggies and all around everyday use.

Amazon.com: Stanton Trading 12 by 18 by 1/2-Inch Cutting Board, White: Kitchen & Dining

They aren't pretty in the least. But they work well and fit in my dishwasher - which should also be a consideration. Don't buy something too big.

For working with meat, I use one like this. It has a channel for catching juices.

Amazon.com: Progressive International PCB-1812 17.5" X 11.25" Cutting Board: Kitchen & Dining

EDIT: I agree with what Andy says below about brand not being important. Like he mentions, I just like something functional, and I don't want anything with handles or feet that make it harder to clean or keep sanitary.

Last edited:
Hi Andy. I have only one good Wustof knife but the others are average quality. I need to upgrade my knives but am not yet ready to do that. Would using a plastic board damage my Wustof knife? What is the best brand of plastic boards?

KG8, that post got away from me. I was going to add two more items to cover the bases more completely. But my point was to decide what's important to you in a board and go from there. Not everyone has the same priorities.

I buy white (and some colored) soft plastic boards because I don't care about how the look. I'm just concerned about utility. As others have mentioned, I put plastic boards in the DW and periodically bleach them to remove stains. They are also the cheapest type to buy overall.

I don't shop plastic boards by brand. I look for the size I want for a plain plastic board (no trim pieces or feet and often, no groove) that's fairly thick so it won't warp.

I've been using an OXO plastic cutting board and am thinking of getting a larger bamboo one. I love the look of bamboo but am wondering how hard it will be to clean and maintain. Looking forward to any suggestions!

As someone else said, this discussion comes up now and then and there's never any definite conclusion.
I have a beautiful bamboo board I leave out all the time, and I enjoy it very much for an everyday work surface. It always looks beautiful, there's virtually no maintenance involved. If you want one, for heaven sakes don't let anyone talk you out of it. :LOL: If I really need a plastic board for prep work, I pull it out from under the sink, and then throw it in the dishwasher. There's no law to say you can't have both. :huh:

Last edited:
I appreciate all of the suggestions! I think I'll get a thicker plastic board and a bamboo one and try them both. I like the idea of storing the plastic one and leaving the bamboo one out on the counter.

I've seen those Epicurean cutting boards KG and I like that they are very lightweight and look easy to handle, plus dishwasher safe. The down side is they are quite pricy and ugly however.
If they were at least pretty, I could swallow the cost.

The food does the talking, the cutting board doesn't. No one is going to remember your cutting board when they're eating the delicious food you made.
Also consider that a cutting board is one of the most used, yet overlooked, utensils in the kitchen, and its performance directly correlates to that of your knife's. A one-time investment on an elite cutting board is worth it if you ask me, considering the long-term payoff. My pulp/resin board has lasted repeated abuse (not use) over the time I've had it and it almost looks brand new unless you hold it in the right light, where you can make out the slightest cutting marks. Bacteria doesn't infest if like plastic, where you get those dark lines in it where your knife sliced, or wood that you have to occasionally wipe with oil and eventually sand. Like I said, it's a maintenance-free cutting surface. The cost is worth it, and despite that I got mine free, I wouldn't look elsewhere, ever.

Last edited:
The food does the talking, the cutting board doesn't. No one is going to remember your cutting board when they're eating the delicious food you made.
Also consider that a cutting board is one of the most used, yet overlooked, utensils in the kitchen, and its performance directly correlates to that of your knife's. A one-time investment on an elite cutting board is worth it if you ask me, considering the long-term payoff. My pulp/resin board has lasted repeated abuse (not use) over the time I've had it and it almost looks brand new unless you hold it in the right light, where you can make out the slightest cutting marks. Bacteria doesn't infest if like plastic, where you get those dark lines in it where your knife sliced, or wood that you have to occasionally wipe with oil and eventually sand. Like I said, it's a maintenance-free cutting surface. The cost is worth it, and despite that I got mine free, I wouldn't look elsewhere, ever.

However, you must be aware that a pulp/resin board is as hard on a knife edge as a bamboo cutting board. ;)

I have nothing against bamboo boards, and I don't recommend against them. But I most-recommend the pulp/resin boards based on my experience.

no mayonnaise said:

Sounds like this board is worth the money. Do you have it in tan or black? I'm wondering if the tan would show stains from certain foods like beets.

Well there is a difference between wood and bamboo. Bamboo is actually a grass and is pretty soft. It tends to be a slower surface then plastic or wood. I am not an expert on bamboo but if the epoxy used is hard on knives then I would skip it and invest in a a hardwood like rock maple or walnut.

I think wood and plastic have their places in a kitchen. I use plastic for raw meats and wood for vegetation and such. With proper are a wood board will last forever.

Wood cutting boards require a little more attention then plastic ones and should not be put in a dish washer. I oil mine with mineral oil about once a month or whenever it looks dry in order to keep it from cracking. Wood has natural disinfectant qualities and draws bacteria into the wood where it dies. I also rub it with kosher salt and lemon juice, which bacteria does not like.

Wood can be sanitized with a 1 tbsp bleach to gallon of water solution. After you wash it with warm soapy water spray on a thin layer and allow it to air dry.

Once a year I sand it down a little bit and rub in some more mineral oil. You can use walnut oil too but I have nut allergies.

Hope this helps

Oh, kosher salt for bacteria? Suppose they are jewish too. I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. I do agree with you on maintaining cutting boards. Down here in far south texas [500 miles south of dallas] we have to do the disinfectant thing very frequently.

I have the tan version. In all the years I've owned it, it looks practically brand new. I've never had an issue with staining, though I've never tried to cut beets on it so I can't attest to that aspect specifically. Everything seems to wash right off of it though.

Last edited:
As someone else said, this discussion comes up now and then and there's never any definite conclusion.
I have a beautiful bamboo board I leave out all the time, and I enjoy it very much for an everyday work surface. It always looks beautiful, there's virtually no maintenance involved. If you want one, for heaven sakes don't let anyone talk you out of it. :LOL: If I really need a plastic board for prep work, I pull it out from under the sink, and then throw it in the dishwasher. There's no law to say you can't have both. :huh:

I'm exactly the same way, Kayelle. I have a beautiful wooden board that is out all of the time. My kitchen is tiny, so it really extends counter-space. Pizza from the oven will land on it, etc. Occasionally, I will chop up some herbs, nuts, or veggies with it. For meats and major prep work, I use plastic or a bamboo board that I got from Target.

Since my large wooden board was built specifically for a spot in my kitchen, I ordered it from an artist on Etsy. For those who are in the market, I'm very happy with her work to the point that I bought a second board from her for Frank's mother. It was a bit spendy, but much less so to have one custom-made over ordering from many places online for pre-made boards. The boards are even more beautiful than the pictures on her website. Plus, Delia is simply SO nice.

Kathleen

Last edited:
I'm exactly the same way, Kayelle. I have a beautiful wooden board that is out all of the time. My kitchen is tiny, so it really extends counter-space. Pizza from the oven will land on it, etc. Occasionally, I will chop up some herbs, nuts, or veggies with it. For meats and major prep work, I use plastic or a bamboo board that I got from Target.

Since my large wooden board was built specifically for a spot in my kitchen, I ordered it from an artist on Etsy. For those who are in the market, I'm very happy with her work to the point that I bought a second board from her for Frank's mother. It was a bit spendy, but much less so to have one custom-made over ordering from many places online for pre-made boards. The boards are even more beautiful than the pictures on her website. Plus, Delia is simply SO nice. Kathleen

Her boards are really beautiful Kathleen! I love the multi colored wood. Actually for the quality, the price is quite reasonable. I like the fact they have no feet and are reversible so one side can be left beautifully pristine with no cut marks. If company is coming, just flip it over.....:).

Her boards are really beautiful Kathleen! I love the multi colored wood. Actually for the quality, the price is quite reasonable. I like the fact they have no feet and are reversible so one side can be left beautifully pristine with no cut marks. If company is coming, just flip it over.....:).
[/FONT]

I try to keep one side for company, Kayelle. :) Honestly, even when used a lot, they oil up like new. Delia even had a selection of woods to choose from for my custom board. She made small bevels to make it more finished, but they are very slight as I wanted the board to set over one of the drainer sections on my sink without slipping. It fits perfectly. After a year of hard use, the board is as beautiful as the day I received it. The only maintenance it has needed it a rare wiping with oil.

As for her price, I could not find anything even close to this quality with better prices. I'll definitely buy from her again whether it is for me or for a gift.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom