"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 05-11-2007, 04:04 AM   #21
Cook

I use some cutting boards from Ikea (Mmm, cheap Swedish junk). They're not the ultra thin sheet boards, but are about 6mm thick.

They warp eventually, and crack, but the original four are still working 9 months later. I use the different colours for different things, and my only beef is that they got oil on them and now it won't come off, as oil is wont to do.

Still, I miss the great big old acrylic cutting boards that used to be all anyone had. A single slab of food-grade plastic, soft and strong. No nubs to make cuts rough, no anti-bacterial bollucks. You can't buy them anywhere anymore, which makes me sad.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #22
Senior Cook

contact your local hard wood supplier they have good ones already made and are bird like (cheep)...

Old 07-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #23
Head Chef

I have a half dozen cutting boards, and my favorite is the bamboo one my brother gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago. It's flat, durable, and gets the job done.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:07 PM   #24
Master Chef

My favorite are the white plastic ones because I can toss them in the sink with a bleach solution .... bleach the sink, the cutting boars, maybe a drying rack, or coffee cup or ..... all at once. I have pretty wooden and bamboo ones, and I have those thin ones (that also go into the bleach solution periodically) that I use more as prep bowls. But my two thicker white ones are my favorites.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:12 AM   #25
Cook

How much bleach do u use in water to clean a cutting board?
Old 08-03-2007, 06:37 AM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

A couple fo tablespoons in a quart of water will do the trick.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
I cannot imagine trying to clean a large wooden cutting board where raw meat or poultry has been cut.
You don't really have to sanitize it yourself - the nature of the wood destroys the bacteria all on its own. I read one time (although I can't find a reference to it now) that the wood is so dry, the microbes can't survive.

This article describes a study done to test whether wood is safe to use for raw meat: On the Chopping Block, Alaska Science Forum
Old 08-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

I read a study on the Univ. of Wisconsin site. I believe what they said was that the wood slows bacterial growth, not that it kills all bacteria.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I read a study on the Univ. of Wisconsin site. I believe what they said was that the wood slows bacterial growth, not that it kills all bacteria.
From the site I linked to above:

"Microbiologists Dean Cliver and Nese Ak were looking for ways to clean wood safely after it had been in contact with food contaminated by bacteria. The first step was to be sure their study boards had appropriately unpleasant microorganisms to be cleaned off. They cultured some known disease-causing bacteria, such as Salmonella, Listeria, and Escherichia coli, and anointed wooden boards with about 10,000 cells of cultured bacteria. That's about 10 times the number of organisms that typically wash off a contaminated chicken carcass.

Within three minutes, 99.9 percent of the bacteria were unrecoverable and presumed dead. By the next morning, the researchers couldn't recover any live bacteria from the wood.

Next, the scientists upped the germ count, inoculating the boards with a million or more bacteria apiece. Then they had enough survivors to work with, but not for long. Within two hours, again 99.9 percent of the bacteria had vanished.

Cliver and Ak tried the same procedures with plastic cutting boards. All the bacteria survived. The organisms even lived through hot water and soap washings in good health and high enough numbers to contaminate clean meat later placed on the plastic."
Old 08-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

That's interesting. Thanks for posting it.