Cutting Boards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linicx

Senior Cook
I read the closed thread on wood and plastic boards. I now have a glass board that I can wash and bleach.

Any opinions on sanitation or health issues? .

No problems with sanitation of health issues with a glass board, but it is possibly one of the worst things you can do for your knife. Glass with ruin the edge faster than you can finish cutting up that tomato.

i agree.
i would not dull an expensive or beloved knife on a glass cutting board.

DITTO! i would never molest my wusthof on glass.

The only cutting surfaces that are acceptable to use, IMO, are wood and plastic. This is coming both from a sanitary standpoint as well as what will not damage my knives.

Ditto, big time! Glass is extremely hard and unforgiving. It will bend the edges of your knives, quickly dulling them to the point that they won't slice a rotten tomato, or worse, chipping pieces off the edge, eventually ruining the knife. Glass, ceramic, or stone are suitable only for cutting with a non-sharpened instrument, such as a cheese spreader.

If you didn't see it, check this thread: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f8/what-type-of-cutting-board-55569.html

also i HAD to use a glass cutting board at my aunt's house once and i got the same sensation in my spine and teeth as nails on a blackboard!! YIKES!!

No, no, no

I would never put a good blade to it. I keep a selection of throw away knives I buy at the wholesaler for use on glass. It is hard to find Heinkel in my neck of the woods but I have an old set of Mighty Oak I've had for 30 years that has served me well. I bought it instead of Chicago Cutlery because I liked the tang and I thought the blade was more substantial. I was right. You won't find a nicked, broken or a bent blade in a block or a dreawer.

Safety and sanitation first always.

I've been a woody all my cooking career. I've had to use "sanitizable" plastic a number of places, and even have a few boards for home (which I pop in the dishwasher after use with meat) but for almost all chopping etc I prefer wood: bamboo or maple. So do my knives!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom