Cutting Boards and Pepper Grinders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookingSearcher

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I am researching knives, cutting boards, and pepper grinders for someone interested in them. I have pretty much narrowed down the knife brands to Wusthof and Global...from what I have read, it is a matter of preference from there.

It also seems Bamboo End-Grain cutting boards are being perceived as the best modern cutting boards (if the specific board's construction is of high-quality of course). The only major reputable brand of cutting boards I have found so far is John Boos...and it seems they do not make Bamboo cutting boards. Is there any reputable bamboo cutting board makers yet...or is the business still too new and no reputable makers have started with bamboo yet? If there are any reputable bamboo board makers, do their boards match(or surpass) the quality of John Boos boards?

Finally, from what I have gathered, the pepper mills/grinders generally considered the best are made by Peugeot...however they have about a million models lol. Are there any differences in the speed and accuracy of the models (besides the obvious differences between normal, uSelect, and electric models)...or is the only difference their appearance and capacity?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm not much on cutting boards. My husband made one for me out of a piece of butcher block counter that serves our needs.

As for pepper grinders, we have a William Bounds hand operated one we love. Have had it for years. It grinds fine, medium and coarsely. Wouldn't trade it for the world. It has a lifetime warranty and we've already taken advantage of the warranty. Nothing serious, just the little knob on the handle. The mechanism is working like day #1.

I think for knives and grinders its a personal preference. Its how that item feels in your own hands. I could recommend what I have but then it may be to heavy for you or it may not contour to your hand the way you would like.

I suggest you just go to various kitchen stores and wander through and get a hands on experience and see what you find works best for you.

As for cutting boards......I just know that I have one thats about 12"x10"...not great at estimating though....but anyway its not big enough for me. I plan on getting one thats bigger.

Wusthof and Global both make very good knives. Peugeot makes excellent grinders. John Boos makes fantastic wood boards. Bamboo is a great board material.

That does not mean that these are the best that are out there though. For everything listed above, personal preference will come into play.

Knives have to fit right in the users hand. Think of it like buying shoes. You can get the best shoes in the world, but if they don't fit then they are no good for you. The person using the knife really needs to handle it to make sure it fits their hand.

Cutting boards are a very personal choice as well. Wood and plastic are both good choices. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. For instance, wood looks great, but can not go in the dishwasher. Plastic does not look as pretty, but can go in the dishwasher. Boos boards are great, but there are many many others out there that are just as good. Bamboo is not necessarily better than the wood boards though. Wood can be just as good. That being said, I have an end grain bamboo board that I love.

As mentioned, Bound is another excellent grinder maker. Check those out in addition to the Peugeot grinders. Both make excellent products.

I have two bamboo cutting boards and love them. Check out Totally Bamboo. I have one of their fairly large chop blocks, which I like because the legs keep it above any moisture on the counters. I also have a smaller one. Both are end-grain and very attractive as well as functional.

Peugeot makes great grinders. We have the Senslis adjustable in both pepper and salt grinders.

I just bought an Island Bamboo cutting board today!

I've owned a Joyce Chen poly plastic cutting board for years. Still have it, but it seems a bit too small. The one that I bought today has a wider cutting area and has a border on it's underside to let you use the board slightly over the edge of the counter.

It's thick, heavy and very solid. You can inquire about it and possibly others from the same company - Wilshire Industries (http://www.wilshireindustries.com).

The 12-inch bamboo peppermill that I own is by Maxwell Williams (no website address given). I love it!! i've always wanted to be able to grind my own black peper!!!

I have 3 different sets of Peugeot pepper and salts. One for 'posh', one for everyday dining room use and one that I keep in the kitchen for cooking purposes. The posh ones are black with stainless steel shiny trim. They show finger prints very easily, though. The other two sets are slightly different designs, but both are made of beech (I think).

I wish I had spent the money years ago, instead of wasting time various other, almost as expensive makes! They are a bit expensive - 35 pounds each ie 70 quid per set - which is why I bought the three sets at separate times!:)

Most of the better restaurants in Edinburgh have Peugeot mills on the tables.

Last edited:
I have a Boos board that I was given as a gift. I have some flimsy plastic ones for dealing with certain things. I have some rigid plastic ones that came with my sink attachment for my BBQ grill. I even have a butcher block board that I made myself out of end pieces. But my favorite one?

It comes from Pampered Chef. It's a bamboo board (which I like) but the best things about it to me are the fact that the board is truly 2 sided. One one side you have the flat board but it has a "moat" resevoir around the sides of it that catches juices that would otherwise flow off the board and onto the counter. And the other side is like a poultry board. It's recessed in the middle (oval shaped recess) that allows a bird to nestle into the board which has a lot of different benefits.

Knives: almost all we use and love are Henckels (Zwilling J.A. Henckels), both the upper end of their line and the lowest end (little plastic-handled sharpies I couldn't live without). Had them for years / still going strong.

As for pepper grinders (and I go through something like a kilo of peppercorns a year ...) I have my big Peugeot WMF in the kitchen which my husband still prefers, but my recent favorite is that pictured in the photo. It's from Ikea, so it's inexpensive, but has several advantages my other more traditional grinder doesn't have. First, it's incredibly easy to refill (top unscrews revealing a fairly large, free opening) and second it really gives you a huge margin in grind adjustment -- brilliant for those of us who like a truly coarse grind.

Attachments

• 23283_PE055244_S3.jpg
    23283_PE055244_S3.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 291
My pepper mills: a William Bounds which I use sometimes, a brass pepper grinder from Greece that does a great job (and it's pretty) and a Peppermate Pepper Mill that I use every day. Love it!
I use mostly Wusthof knives.
I have the most beautiful and functional mahogany cutting board that I got off eBay from a guy who makes them... stays on the counter and I use it every day. Unbelievable quality and price. He even signs them. I ordered a bread board from him to use when serving a cheese board. Everyone always asks where I got it.

Back
Top Bottom