"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 05-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cutting boards: Bamboo vs Wood

I live in Denver and the air is dry here. So dry that my wooden cutting boards split over time. I diligently oil them every six months, never put them in the dish washer, wash them quickly with warm, soapy water, rinse and set them vertically to dry completely before re-oiling with mineral oil. I'm at a loss.

Question: Would bamboo cutting boards act any differently than wood, in this arrid climate? Thank you in advance for any response.
By the way, I have plastic cutting boards as well and use them for preparing raw meats. I simply love the wood boards though....

Old 05-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

First off, welcome to the site!

6 months seems like too much time between oiling. I would bump it up to every month or so.

To answer your question though, I think bamboo would act differently than wood. My guess is that your bamboo board would be much less prone to the drying problem you have experienced with your wood board.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

bamboo vs wood

But, my question is, what are the differences in characteristics of wood and bamboo? How does a bamboo cutting board hold up over time from a high quality wooden board in prolonged arrid conditions?
I need a professional view on this.
Thanks, though, for your imput.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I thought I had answered your question. You had asked
Quote:
Originally Posted by star
Would bamboo cutting boards act any differently than wood, in this arrid climate?
and I responded

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I think bamboo would act differently than wood. My guess is that your bamboo board would be much less prone to the drying problem you have experienced with your wood board.
Are you looking for an answer to a different question?
Old 05-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Bamboo vs Wood

I'm sorry. I was expecting more than an " I think.." response. Actually,
I am looking for critical, hard evidence proving or disproving one over the other. I am looking for facts, not opinions. I'm sure there is someone with background knowledge of these two natural resources and would kindly explain to me how or if one sustains a longer, durable lifespan than the other. That's all I'm inquiring about.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
I'm sorry. I was expecting more than an " I think.." response. Actually,
I am looking for critical, hard evidence proving or disproving one over the other. I am looking for facts, not opinions. I'm sure there is someone with background knowledge of these two natural resources and would kindly explain to me how or if one sustains a longer, durable lifespan than the other. That's all I'm inquiring about.
You aren't using mineral oil nearly often enough. Of course, I'm just a layman and cannot satisfy your demands so you should contact David Smith here and he'll give you the professional opinion you desire. Like any huge decision you might want to get a second opinion here.

By the way, chuck the bamboo. It's really hard on your edges, just like poly, granite, glass, and coconut shells.....

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Sous Chef

One more thing. Add some bees wax to the mineral oil and melt it in in a double boiler. It will 1) stay in solution, and 2) protect your board better than mineral oil alone. Apply it to the board while warm. It will aid the penetration.

This is a Boardsmith walnut end grain. My grandchildren will be using it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Walnut Boardsmith.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	4213  

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
Old 05-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Sous Chef

After thought, but very important. Oil ALL surfaces including the bottom, otherwise you will get differential rate swelling leading to cracks.

Buzz
Old 05-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Hi Star,

Actually, Buzz said a mouthful. Bamboo is grass and the resins used to glue the pieces together is very hard and tough on your knife edges. Also, they are made in the Orient under conditions that would not be tolerated here with glues and finished that are second rate.

Oil often, often and often! When the surface looks a little light, hit it with the oil and oil all the surfaces top, bottom and sides. Pour some mineral oil into a container and shave some bees wax into it. Melt in a double boiler and when the wax has melted, the oil will turn an apple juice color. Spread the warm oil on to the clean dry cutting surface and let it penetrate. Once it looks to not be soaking up any more oil, buff off with a clean cloth or paper towel. Thenoil the rest of the board with straight oil.

If you want to get very fancy, melt some bees wax in a double boiler and pour in some oil. 1 ounce of oil to four ounces of wax. Pour into a clean container and use like a paste wax. Makes the cutrtting surface quite water repellant and shiny.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoardSMITH View Post
Hi Star,

Then oil the rest of the board with straight oil.

If you want to get very fancy, melt some bees wax in a double boiler and pour in some oil. 1 ounce of oil to four ounces of wax. Pour into a clean container and use like a paste wax. Makes the cutrtting surface quite water repellant and shiny.

Hope this helps.
Thanks BoardSmith, I had forgotten those two things.