Cutting grease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robo410

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
People swear by Dawn power dissolver. However, I can't buy it anywhere? Why? Is it deadly? Has it dissolved people? On the Ace Hardware website people are lamenting not being able to find it in their stores. Seems maybe I can buy it by the case? !!!

So who knows anything?

Dawn Power Dissolver is different from dish soap.

I couldn't find it in my supermarket or several others. I finally found it at Home Depot and bought a half dozen bottles.

I bought it at my Ace hardware store last year. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the store.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it at WalMart...
I'm going today I'll take a peek again.

Where you find it depends on where your store stocks it - if they carry it.

It could be with the dishwashing liquids, among the oven cleaners, or mixed in with the things like Comet, Ajax, etc.

And, stores move things around without notice. The first time I saw the Reynold's Handi-Vac at Wal-Mart - they were in the cookware area - when I went back to buy one a few days later I couldn't find them. A couple of weeks later I ran across them by accident - on the other side of the store mixed in among the Glad food bags ...

Yup, found it at Wally world with the dish soap.
$2 a bottle.
Should I start mailing them out? :)

Greased Lightning kills grease around the kitchen. It also leaves a streak free shine on stainless steel apliances.

found it at Ace Hardware. It is a biodegradable alkaline product. Don't know why so few places sell it.

Greased Lightning kills grease around the kitchen. It also leaves a streak free shine on stainless steel apliances.

I LOVE that stuff. It works great on stains on your clothes too. My husband is a truck driver and if you've ever tried to get fifth wheel grease out of clothes you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. ;)

I used to buy Greased Lightning by the 5 gal jug. Sadly, Sam's Club stopped carrying it. It worked great on my floors and was easy to rinse off.

Grteased lightning is a completely different product from power dissolver. DPD is meant to remove cooked on food and fat stains from a pan. If you pan roast a piece of meat, you get some tan spots of oil around the inside edges. DPD softens that so you can take it off with a sponge.

I used to buy Greased Lightning by the 5 gal jug. Sadly, Sam's Club stopped carrying it. It worked great on my floors and was easy to rinse off.

Oh no! That's terrible! My Sam's Club still carries it. Check another Sam's Club or check with the manager of your Sam's Club and see if he can order it. I live south of Atlanta where we have about 10 or so Sam's Clubs. We like to visit different ones to see what they have.

Have you ever checked out Sam's Club Auction Site? We've gotten some AMAZING deals on there. We actually got a riding lawn mower from there...tax, shipping and delivered to the house for $950. The exact same mower was in HomeDepot for $1600(before tax)! Be careful though, it's addicting! :LOL:

I seem to be getting a little off topic! Sorry! :wacko:

Last edited:
I LOVE that stuff. It works great on stains on your clothes too. My husband is a truck driver and if you've ever tried to get fifth wheel grease out of clothes you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. ;)

Where were you when my DH owned his own truck?!?!?
The kids would step in glops of it left on the driveway and walk up my carpeted stairs with it. :mad:
Luckily my Uncle owns a carpet cleaning business. :cool:
Even more luckily the stupid semi now resides in Illinois.

After reading this, I bought 4 bottles of Dawn Power Dissolver at WalMart for $1.89 a bottle. It was in the dishwashing liquid area. I'm thinking it might be good for clean-ups in the oven without doing the entire thing.

I shoulda grabbed one today when I saw it....
it was between that and butter.
the power dissolver woulda been cheaper!!!

I also use DPD for tough soap scum spots in the shower and tub. Seems to work much better than Tilex and such minus the bad smell of the typical bathroom products.

Back
Top Bottom