"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-08-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
Master Chef

Deadly Can Openers

I have a question about the "better for you" can openers that open the cans from the side and don't leave any sharp edges, and the contaminants on the lid don't get into your food.

A few months ago I picked up a Rival model CN796 electric can opener from a discount store and have noticed a couple of problems with it. One is that it doesn't always open the can. The other is a health hazard - sometimes it leaves tiny "hair fine" shavings of metal sticking out all around the lid.

Is this a common problem with other side opening can openers (electric or manual) or did I just get a lemon?

Old 10-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I can't say if it's that model or that particular opener that's the problem. I use a manual OXO (traditional top cutting type) and it does a fine job.

I think the most deadly aspect of a can opener is the food residue left on the cutting wheel. I remember a study from some time ago that stated the cutting wheel on an electric can opener is the dirtiest place in the kitchen. That food residue stays on the wheel or gets into the nooks and crannies (especially if it's a Thomas' can opened) and festers, growing some mean and nasty stuff.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
Everymom

OK EWWWW! I have to say though, that I can't get my brain around the one taking the whole top off being safer. Mine is the old fashioned swing open kind and it works very well.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I think the most deadly aspect of a can opener is the food residue left on the cutting wheel. I remember a study from some time ago that stated the cutting wheel on an electric can opener is the dirtiest place in the kitchen.
I found this to be true also with manual can openers. I bought a new manual can opener because mine was getting dull. But I decided to take the old can opener to work. Before I took it to work I decided to clean it. The wheel was gross!! I was mad at myself that I let it get that dirty. I cleaned it and then put it in the dishwasher. It now looks like it was new. So, folks I would give all your can openers a check to see how clean or not they are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:31 AM   #5
Head Chef

Our commercial Edlund (manual) can opener did that too...Jim had to adjust the blade (and said it was quite hard to do) to get it to stop. So sorry you're disappointed in something new which should have been fun to have!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

In response to Andy:
I had always thought the dirtiest thing in any kitchen would be your sponge. It's damp, spongy (duh..) and is used to clean up spills and messes, and all sorts of things tend to grow in them. They ned to be replacedat LEAST monthly, and should be tossed in the top rack of the dishwasher regularly to keep'em clean. After sponges would be wooden cutting boards... Wood IS absorbent, you know... I had really never thought about the dangers lurking on the blade of my can opener... Oh well, at least I throw mine in the dishwasher regularly along with most of my other gadgets.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:44 AM   #7
Master Chef

I like my Oxo manual can opener, which gets soaked and cleaned after every dog food can that gets opened (in other words every few days, and we don't use it daily). For the longest time all we had was a military can opener (can't remember what it is called .... P39 or something like that) which would freak people out. I just try to keep as little on my counter-tops as possible, and would just as soon use a manual can opener.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:37 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Claire - I'm intrigued. You had a military can opener that freaked people out? What made it so scary?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
Master Chef

You were close Calire - it was the P38 can opener. I got my first one and learned how to use it when I was in Boy Scouts years ago. I still have one in a box somewhere ...
Old 10-12-2005, 04:01 PM   #10
Cook

P38 and P51 miltary can openers. Ah the memories!

P-51s are in the middle, the smaller P-38s are on the sides.