Deadly Can Openers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael in FtW

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I have a question about the "better for you" can openers that open the cans from the side and don't leave any sharp edges, and the contaminants on the lid don't get into your food.

A few months ago I picked up a Rival model CN796 electric can opener from a discount store and have noticed a couple of problems with it. One is that it doesn't always open the can. The other is a health hazard - sometimes it leaves tiny "hair fine" shavings of metal sticking out all around the lid.

Is this a common problem with other side opening can openers (electric or manual) or did I just get a lemon?

I can't say if it's that model or that particular opener that's the problem. I use a manual OXO (traditional top cutting type) and it does a fine job.

I think the most deadly aspect of a can opener is the food residue left on the cutting wheel. I remember a study from some time ago that stated the cutting wheel on an electric can opener is the dirtiest place in the kitchen. That food residue stays on the wheel or gets into the nooks and crannies (especially if it's a Thomas' can opened) and festers, growing some mean and nasty stuff.

OK EWWWW! I have to say though, that I can't get my brain around the one taking the whole top off being safer. Mine is the old fashioned swing open kind and it works very well.

Andy M. said:
I think the most deadly aspect of a can opener is the food residue left on the cutting wheel. I remember a study from some time ago that stated the cutting wheel on an electric can opener is the dirtiest place in the kitchen.

I found this to be true also with manual can openers. I bought a new manual can opener because mine was getting dull. But I decided to take the old can opener to work. Before I took it to work I decided to clean it. The wheel was gross!! I was mad at myself that I let it get that dirty. I cleaned it and then put it in the dishwasher. It now looks like it was new. So, folks I would give all your can openers a check to see how clean or not they are.

Our commercial Edlund (manual) can opener did that too...Jim had to adjust the blade (and said it was quite hard to do) to get it to stop. So sorry you're disappointed in something new which should have been fun to have!

In response to Andy:
I had always thought the dirtiest thing in any kitchen would be your sponge. It's damp, spongy (duh..) and is used to clean up spills and messes, and all sorts of things tend to grow in them. They ned to be replacedat LEAST monthly, and should be tossed in the top rack of the dishwasher regularly to keep'em clean. After sponges would be wooden cutting boards... Wood IS absorbent, you know... I had really never thought about the dangers lurking on the blade of my can opener... Oh well, at least I throw mine in the dishwasher regularly along with most of my other gadgets.

Last edited:
I like my Oxo manual can opener, which gets soaked and cleaned after every dog food can that gets opened (in other words every few days, and we don't use it daily). For the longest time all we had was a military can opener (can't remember what it is called .... P39 or something like that) which would freak people out. I just try to keep as little on my counter-tops as possible, and would just as soon use a manual can opener.

Claire - I'm intrigued. You had a military can opener that freaked people out? What made it so scary?

P38 and P51 miltary can openers. Ah the memories!

p38p51.jpg

P-51s are in the middle, the smaller P-38s are on the sides.

We have 2 plain old manual can openers which get cycled through the dishwasher regularly. I could never see any logical reason for an electric opener unless one was disabled or opening 50 cans a day.

It just isn't that difficult to use a manual one, and let's face it.... most of us can use the exercise... minimal though it may be... :LOL:

P.S. I always used to have a P38 on my keyring. It's a handy thing to have around... :chef:

Ha!:mrgreen: I still have a P38 on my key ring. The only problem with it is that every once in a great while, it will open in my pants pocket and snag a hole in the material. Then I have to repair the pocket with a good old needle and thread. And yes I do sew my own clothing when a seam rips or they are in need of small repairs. But I'm not a tailor or anything. I just kid of grew up to be pretty self reliant.

And did you know that when you turn the older style hand-operated can openers on their sides that they open a can just like the new side-slicing can openers do? I have done it many times, just for the novelty or it, or to impress someone who might never have thought of it. Imagine their surprise when they had just invested in one of the new ones, especially from an info-mercial, and then they watch me use my older style, but well made can opener, to do the same thing. And mine have never left metal shavings.

Sometimes I just can't resist pointing out the obvious to others.:devilish: Oh wiat, that was my evil twin.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Once in a great while. i'm on the road frequently, and sometimes eat something from a can while stopping at a gas station ore grocery store.

Hey, what can I say. I like cold beans from a can.:)

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the Noth

I have an electric can opener called "The Penguin", because of it's shape...It's tall enough to open a can of coffee. I like it just fine, and it's easier for me to use, as I don't have much strength in my hands anymore.
Y'all are right about how filthy the can opener blades get. Naturally, I can't throw my electric can opener in the dishwasher, but I clean them off with a soapy rag. I also wipe off the tops of the cans before I open them.
I quit the sponges years ago...I use dish cloths that I can bleach, and get out a clean one every day.
I also keep a small bottle of Clorox under my kitchen sink, and use it to clean cutting boards, etc. Much as I love the old wooden cutting boards, I've switched to the synthetic ones for sanitary reasons. I also like to use separate cutting boards for meats and vegies.

I have one of the newer "geared" swing-open can openers, there both the blade and the wheel that grips the can provide torque to move the can. I like it, as the handle for turning is nice and big, and it's easier to open a can with. I wash that thing daily, as we use it daily around here. Somewhere, we should have a second one, but I have no earthly idea where it is.

My MIL brought over a couple electric cans openers, both of which were filthy. One I cleaned up, as I was thinking about using it, especially since it had a knife sharpening attachment on the back (I was going to use that for her cheap knives, not my good ones). I was actually able to remove ALL the gripping and cutting pieces. They were designed to be removed and cleaned regularly. I was able to get the entire unit cleaned, put back together, running, etc. I tried opening up a can later that night, and the darn thing wouldn't cut through the lid!

Back
Top Bottom