Digital thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I'm looking at digital thermometers for measuring melted chocolate, and I'm a bit confused about the term "instant read." Are all digital thermometers instant read, or do some measure temps faster than others?

What would be a good reasonably priced all purpose digital thermometer for chocolate, oil, and meat?

Instant read refers to the type of thermometer that is only in the food briefly to check the temp as opposed to the type you put into the meat and leave it in while it's cooking.

There are different types of digital IR thermometers and some are faster than others. The really fast ones are more expensive. Thermapen® Mk4 Thermometer from ThermoWorks

Another feature of the more expensive one is that it can get an accurate reading with just the very tip of the probe. Other types require about an inch of the probe to be involved in the reading.

Either type of digital thermometer is more accurate than a dial type.

Instant read refers to the type of thermometer that is only in the food briefly to check the temp as opposed to the type you put into the meat and leave it in while it's cooking.

There are different types of digital IR thermometers and some are faster than others. The really fast ones are more expensive. Thermapen® Mk4 Thermometer from ThermoWorks

Another feature of the more expensive one is that it can get an accurate reading with just the very tip of the probe. Other types require about an inch of the probe to be involved in the reading.

Either type of digital thermometer is more accurate than a dial type.

Thanks Andy! Would that type of thermometer work for measuring the temp of melted chocolate? The glass thermometers for candy seem very hard to read. I bought a CDN glass thermometer and am thinking of getting something else. I just don't know what would be easier to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Thanks Andy! Would that type of thermometer work for measuring the temp of melted chocolate? The glass thermometers for candy seem very hard to read. I bought a CDN glass thermometer and am thinking of getting something else. I just don't know what would be easier to use.

It would work but may not be as convenient. A thermometer you can leave in the chocolate allows you to track the changes without having to stop what you're doing and stick an IR thermometer into the choice.

You can get a digital thermometer that you can leave in the choc. http://www.thermoworks.com/DOT it comes with a clip to attach it to the pan.

Last edited:
It would work but may not be as convenient. A thermometer you can leave in the chocolate allows you to track the changes without having to stop what you're doing and stick an IR thermometer into the choice.

You can get a digital thermometer that you can leave in the choc. http://www.thermoworks.com/DOT it comes with a clip to attach it to the pan.

This looks like an awesome thermometer! From the product description I think the clip has to be purchased separately. Is that correct?

This is the probe thermometer I have and I love it. I haven't used it for candy, but I've used it for deep frying. You can set both a low and high temperature alarm, timer, and the alarm has an adjustable volume so that even wearing hearing aids I can hear it anywhere in the house. You can buy many different probes for it - along with the standard one that comes with it, I also have the one for measuring air temps in my smoker and grill. Check it out anyway: Chef Alarm

This is the probe thermometer I have and I love it. I haven't used it for candy, but I've used it for deep frying. You can set both a low and high temperature alarm, timer, and the alarm has an adjustable volume so that even wearing hearing aids I can hear it anywhere in the house. You can buy many different probes for it - along with the standard one that comes with it, I also have the one for measuring air temps in my smoker and grill. Check it out anyway: Chef Alarm

This looks like a great thermometer. I checked out their website and it looks like they have a wonderful selection of thermometers based on cooking application and budget.

I did not know a quick read digital thermometer was a thing.

Does anyone use one other than in candy making? I mean when I got a digital scale, which I once thought were only owned by my college dorm neighbor 'mike' who you visited before you went to the Grateful Dead show, it totally kicked my baking up a notch, am I missing out on something serious?

TBS

Instant read digital thermometers are replacing the dial type. They are more accurate, require no adjustment and are easy to read.

I have a thermometer, but it takes a while to register, are you guys saying there is something that will give me a quick temperature?

Does it work in water? Meat? Meat that is in water?

Implications here are huge.

I mean I, like many cooks, have a meat thermometer, that I stick in a roast or a chicken to make sure it is above 155 but it takes a bit to register.

I have a Thermapen and love it. Especially the fast readings and that the sensor is just in the very tip of the probe.

DH had a temperature. We couldn't find the people thermometer. I told him to stick the Thermapen probe under his tongue. It worked!

It works better for meat and such though.

DH had a temperature. We couldn't find the people thermometer. I told him to stick the Thermapen probe under his tongue. It worked!

It works better for meat and such though.

I imagine it would. Some of my survival kits are based off old CDC packages and updates, and they have thermometers that would also work, but you wouldn't use again for food.

TBS

I did not know a quick read digital thermometer was a thing.

Does anyone use one other than in candy making? I mean when I got a digital scale, which I once thought were only owned by my college dorm neighbor 'mike' who you visited before you went to the Grateful Dead show, it totally kicked my baking up a notch, am I missing out on something serious?

TBS

It was not cheap, but I wouldn't give up my original Thermapen for anything. I've had it now for about 10 years, and if it ever dies, I'll pay the $90 to replace it with the latest version - it's that good. I can accurately measure the internal temperature of even a relatively thin steak, something that no other thermometer I've ever owned will do. It measures right at the very tip of the probe, and gets the measurement in 2 seconds or less.

Between my Thermapen and my Chef Alarm, I have just about all the kitchen thermometers that I can imagine that I'll ever need.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom