"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Disinfecting a wooden cutting board?

I found a nearly un-marked wooden carving board today, with the ring around it for collecting the juices.

It was in a very bad storage spot. It has tons of dust, a few spider eggs and possibly even a little mold on it. It's pretty filthy. (I already KNOW that I'm a terrible housekeeper, please refrain from any comments on that score.)

If I soak and/or scrub it with hydrogen peroxide, should that sufficiently disinfect it and render it safe to use?

Or should I sand it down or do something else? It's not going to kill me to throw it away, but I hate wasting things.

Thoughts?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Scrub with brown soap ( e.g. Fells Naptha or Octagon)and rinse thoroughly, then swab with Clorox and let sit overnight.
Rinse thoroughly.
If you're obsessive-compulsive, swab with 5% acidity white vinegar solution.
Scour damp board with kosher salt (to coat with a salt paste).
Allow to dry, brush off dried salt, rinse and allow to dry.
Treat board with mineral oil or a mixture of mineral oil and paraffin or bee's wax.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I'm not seeing either of those soaps online anywhere. Am I looking for the wrong thing?

Could I not use a dab of dish soap first, then bleach, then vinegar, then salt paste?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
I'm not seeing either of those soaps online anywhere. Am I looking for the wrong thing?

Could I not use a dab of dish soap first, then bleach, then vinegar, then salt paste?

The soap serves to remove surface dirt. Dish soap will work. I'd scrub hard with a scrubber sponge or similar. Then continue with the rest of the steps.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Head Chef

I would not put soap on a wooden cutting board, nor would I soak it. In this case I would scrape it down with a metal scraper using running water as a lubricant. I have a couple of broken off spatula blades that I use for scraping. Water and perhaps as little bleach would sanitize it. A light sanding may be called for (I use an orbital sander)

Soaking a wooden board most likely will result in a warped board.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post

Go to
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/

They sell the Fels Naptha soap. It is a brown soap that has excellent disinfecting properties. It has been around for ages and ages. When I was a kid, they use to use it for impetigo and other skin infections. It is advertized as a laundry soap. But it has so many other uses.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Household Cleaners | Household Cleaning Products

this will bring you right to the page for Fels Naptha or Octogon. Fels is cheaper.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Executive Chef

After you've removed the surface dirt by rinsing, you could do what thousands of sushi chefs do; (From the Clorox Site: "To disinfect: Use 3/4 cup of Clorox® Regular-Bleach per gallon of water. Wash, wipe or rinse items with water, then apply bleach solution. Let stand 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and air dry.")

Rinse, rinse and rinse again until you can detect no odor of clorox on your cutting board.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Thanks for the input, folks.

I notice that a lot of folks reviewing on Amazon.com say you can find the Fels at Kroger & Wal-Marts for around $1 or so a bar.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
Head Chef

I would scrub it with a cleanser like soft scrub that has bleach in it and then wash it in hot sudsey water, then reoil it with a mineral oil ( found in most store near the pharmacy)