Displacement Measuring cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
Does anyone have one of those displacement measuring cups, where yo u slide the pusher down to the desired graduation and then fill cylinder up with whatever?
What do you use it for? I had one but it broke, and i went to marshalls today to get olive oil, and came out with seasoned rubs and a new displacement measureing cup.
They didnt have and olive oil. Not sure if i am going to another marshall's or to the same one later.

I think I've seen the cups. Like the ones Alton Brown uses on his show. I've not used the cups, but seen them in the store. They tend to be pretty pricey, at least the ones I saw. It'd be great to use for something like butter or crisco or peanut butter.

I have those measuring cups and they sit way back in the cordner of a cupboard somewhere. They don't get used much.

I have to that one and the regular all in one measuing cups that you slide the handle to the desired measurement and the same with the spoons. I love mine!
I mostly use the displacement cup for butter, sour cream, wet solids like that. My other are used for dry solids and I use my spoons for everything. It's easier than trying to find the right ones that have 5 or 6 different cups or spoons.
These are the new ones from The Pampered Chef. They are wonderful.

Last edited:
Texas girl....

here's my conundrum...
I have my flour and sugar and such in canisters, and then I have the SS scoops that I can dip into the canister swipe it with a knife and keep going, when I was experimenting with the push measure cup it's like you have to take something dump the whatever into it, until you have filled it, then I get tempted to pat it down and then swipe it, is that what it is or am I doing something wrong here?

I found them

Bed bath and beyound has the 2 cup size for $10 and I got the 1 cup size from marshalls for $5

When I see the convoluted and difficult measurements used by Americans for 'cup' measurements... I'm so GLAD I use imperial or metric (depending on the recipe!):cool:

vilasman said:
Texas girl....

here's my conundrum...
I have my flour and sugar and such in canisters, and then I have the SS scoops that I can dip into the canister swipe it with a knife and keep going, when I was experimenting with the push measure cup it's like you have to take something dump the whatever into it, until you have filled it, then I get tempted to pat it down and then swipe it, is that what it is or am I doing something wrong here?

I just kind of tap the bottom on the counter to settle the flour, sugar, etc..
as for butter and stuff, pull it down past what I need, fill it with a spoon, then push it up to the measurement that I need and then swipe it.
Is that what your asking or does it make scense?

What you said makes sense and I will try it.
It makes perfect sense. I had tried to use the adjust-a-cup for shortening and butter but always got voids in what I was measuring.

I am still not nessarily convinced that it is faster than sticking a scoop in the canister and swiping it with a knife as I pull it out.

But!

My new secret plan for world domination is

I am going to measure out all the ingredients for like my waffles, all the dry ingredients together and all the wet ones together and then putting them in the ajust a cup to find what the total volume and then using the cup to cut the reciepe into half or quarters.

Andy M. said:
I have those measuring cups and they sit way back in the cordner of a cupboard somewhere. They don't get used much.

Me too, Andy. Never could get used to it. I do fine with glass ones and a set of SS cups.

I actually used mine today! I was making waffles and the reciepe called for 3/4 cu of buttermilk and 1/4 cu of milk so I was cutting that in half so I did 3/8 cu of buttermilk and 1/8 cu of milk and so here's the cool part. I pulled the plunger down for 1/4 cu and poured buttermilk and then I pulled it down another 1/8th and added the rest of the buttermilk and then 1/8 for the milk milk and then I used the perfect beaker
to add 3 tablespoons of oil and then plopped the egg yolk in and saw that I had 2/3 cu of wet ingredients over all. Then I pulled out my trusty 1/3 SS cup filled it and used the rest to make today's waffle.
For the dry ingredients I did the opposite I measured all the dry ingredients into a bowl dumped the mixture into the perfect beaker figured out what half the sum was, set the displacement cup to that volume and then packed
it over the bowl, dumped the wet ingredients into what was left in the bowl, dumped what was in the measurer into a small pyrex, actually the measured portion of the wet went into a baby pyrex as well, I have about 20 of the smallest ones but I am short lids,
I also split an egg yolk in two. Who knew a large egg yolk was about 2 tablespoons?

anyway, to make a long story, well, longer...
I mixed it all up and viola! World domination was achieved. There was enough mix to make just one waffle. It was a little heaver than usual, but I think was because you have to put whipped egg white in it and I added regular sugar and vanilla to the egg yolk and of course they don't whip as well that way.
But it was still a very edible waffle.

Now a question to go into the general cooking thread.

I liked my one cup ajust a cup so much that, well, the 2 cup was only $10

Back
Top Bottom