"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #111
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I have, but it`s never used, it`s way too fiddly to wash and get it All out.
I`ll stick to doing garlic manualy :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:03 PM   #112
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I always use mine. I no longer take a knife to a garlic clove. I will either squeeze it through the garlic press, or give it the patented Martin Yan SMACK with my Chinese cleaver.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:22 AM   #113
Executive Chef

You can also use a mortar and pestal, but for much quicker results, the press is faster.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:30 AM   #114
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gent88
Bought one "many years ago"?! I Invented it may be 5 years ago. The first production unit came out only 3 years ago. All our first year sales were in the Sacramento area where people had a chance to watch my demonstration and love it. (As a result now there is one unit being used by a happy home chef in every 100 homes in the Sacramento area.)............................................ ................................................
Or is it a SEVERE case of different strokes for different folks?
Hey, Gent88, I have one of your twisters. I like it very much and I understand what you are saying. Thank you.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #115
Sous Chef

Corey says And yes, trust me, garlic WILL burn if left in the hot grease or oil too long, especially with just onions. Emeril lagasse has stated this as well as several other celebrity chefs.

And it has happened to me over the years. Once it happens, there is absolutely nothing that you can do about it except throw the burned garlic out and start all over again.

Of course. Anything is possible if you leave it too long or don't watch it. It is not a reason to "add only at the end of cooking to keep from burning".
I add it to infuse the oil and hence the ingredient with the garlic. And add more for the next ingredient, if needed.

I love to use my microplane for garlic if needed to be very fine. And I have put this fluff in hot oil without it burning.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:56 AM   #116
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I don't have one. I use the small side of my cheese grater for my garlic & it works great.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #117
Assistant Cook

I have one in the back of one of my drawers. I stick with a knife.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:31 PM   #118
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
A garlic press is one of those stocking stuffers (gadgets) that people buy or give because they like to have all kinds of labor saving devices. I am old school and would much rather use a 10 inch Chefs knife to do all of the work. A big plus is the cleanup is almost nothing compared to cleaning out all the small holes on a press.
Chef Mark
Old 12-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #119
Sous Chef

No, i dont have one
I just chop with a knife or use the hand blender, to process the garlic, depending on what i want to use it for.

Mel
Old 12-23-2006, 04:59 PM   #120
Head Chef

I have a new jar opener and it works great for opening jars of garlic. I finally decided to try this style garlic due to the stale garlic pods available. The flavor is intense, the way it is supposed to be. Garlic powder is good for lightly seasoned things. I've been known to bang a few fresh garlic pods with a cloth covered hammer head.