Do any of you own a garlic press?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mish said:
Most disappointing thing about the garlic press is that I couldn't get any garlic juice out of it - thru the holes. The 'press' is just that - it will press it, not mince, chop or make a paste. It looked good standing with my other gadgets, but a waste of space, IMHO.

I'll take it! Send it to me mish. LOL.

OK, I know that last post sounded facetious, but I am serious here. I need a new garlic press and I can't find a nice one. Whats with that? So, anyone willing to send me theirs I would gratefully receive it.

Alix said:
OK, I know that last post sounded facetious, but I am serious here. I need a new garlic press and I can't find a nice one. Whats with that? So, anyone willing to send me theirs I would gratefully receive it.

And I need a new Mustang GT/CS....anyone willing to send me theirs?:)

Alix said:
I'll take it! Send it to me mish. LOL.

LOL. I would gladly send you mine, Allix, but the s/h to your neck of the woods is a killer (if I go by those ebayers). Would you believe there are 105 up for auction! You can get six for a penny if you hurry :LOL: One is self-cleaning. What a concept.:rolleyes: Take a peek.

http://search.ebay.com/garlic-press_W0QQfromZR40

Uh-oh. This one looks interesting.
Garlic1.jpg

(I'm an e-bayaholic...ssshhhh)

Last edited:
And the post up here is slow compared to you folks down yonder. Darn! Looks like I will have to go shop at one of those specialty stores to find me a new one.

I bought mine at the local supermarket Saturday.

Usually, supermarkets only sell cheap flimisly-made cooks' tools which I won't buy because the quality just isn't there. They fall apart during use. I bought a cheap can opener there once and the thing fell apart during use after having it for only about a month or so!!

But after finding out that this particular garlic press is very heavy and is all cast metal, I bought it for $9.00.

Try a gourmet store in your area.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
mish said:
LOL. I would gladly send you mine, Allix, but the s/h to your neck of the woods is a killer (if I go by those ebayers). Would you believe there are 105 up for auction! You can get six for a penny if you hurry :LOL: One is self-cleaning. What a concept.:rolleyes: Take a peek.

http://search.ebay.com/garlic-press_W0QQfromZR40

Uh-oh. This one looks interesting.
Garlic1.jpg

(I'm an e-bayaholic...ssshhhh)

How does this one work? Do you pound on the knob to beat the cloves into oblivion?

~Corey123.

I don't use one. I just smash the clove(s) with the flat side of my knife by striking it with my palm. I can thin mince or make a paste out of it. I have enough gadgets cluttering up my drawers.

I must be one of the few who find it easy to use. I get lazy to stand around and chop til it gets tiny. If I need garlic to be a bit bigger, than I don't use the press and just use my knife. I really enjoy using the garlic press. Though I have to admit, I don't do the dishes. :LOL: DH does and actually hates it when I use the press. It came with one of those cleaner things but I lost mine so he uses one of our brushes to clean it. As long as I soak it when I'm done, it's usually not that hard to clean.

If it is washed immediately after use, it doesn't need a soaking.

I've done this and I know. And it's better to wash it by hand then to wash it in the dishwasher. As powerful as a dishwasher is, the spray arms might not be able to reach into the press and get all of the remains of the garlic cloves out.

So, washing the thing by hand only takes about a minute or so to do.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
How does this one work? Do you pound on the knob to beat the cloves into oblivion?

~Corey123.

It's on ebay. Didn't read the description, cause I went a little wild on ebay this month... so I was afraid to look. I got as far as "It's Dracula's nightmare." :LOL:

Last edited:
Maybe I don't have the right one but my garlic press is lying unused in the drawer. I find it easier to place the flat edge of a large chef's knife over the peeled garlic cloves and coming down hard with the bottom of my palm a few times. Really releases the flavor of the garlic as well as agression!!!

I have a garlic press and I love it. Don't get me wrong - I love to chop stuff, but my garlic press does a fine job, and clean-up is a breeze with the little plastic thing to poke out any left over pieces.

Yes, I hear ya!!

I found out that it's quicker than standing there chopping away to no end.

Also, the Magic Bullet might be a good idea, which I also have. But in the time it takes to set that up, which it's still in the box, the garlic press will have done a whole bulb of garlic by then!

And BTW, I LOVE that pizza avator you got!! Just take off the olives. Haha!!

~Corey123.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I really like working and training myself by doing as much prep work by hand as possible. It attaches me to the food more, and gives me a greater sense of satisfaction when all is said and done. And of course, that means mincing the garlic by hand, using all that I have right now: my Dad's old 8" chef. It teachers you to be pretty darn dextrous.

Sometimes I'm in a rush and need things to help cut prep time in half, which also helps me get out of the kitchen sooner.

Back
Top Bottom