Do any of you own a garlic press?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do not use a garlic press. And remember to remove the center (a little green portion). of the garlic. This makes the garlic bitter. Press with the heavy handle of a knife I am using. The skin comes off easily and then I use the same knife to remover the green center and dice the garlic. Garlic burns (and tastes awful) needs to be watched. And in a hurry....always have garlic powder or garlic in a jar in refrigerator.

Corey123 said:
A mortor and pestel also works, I was told.

~Corey123.

Good idea Corey. Just like those "Onion Coppers" I refuse to use them. The texture and all the liquid that comes out looks like it would kill any recepie.

Yesterday evening, I made Sheperd's Pie.

To keep the already peeled garlic cloves that I bought from the Spanish store in my area from spoiling, I put them in the freezer.

After chopping up the green peppers, celery and onions, I chopped up some of the garlic cloves in the food processor. I discovered by accident that instead of getting chopped or minced garlic, it came out in a paste-like consistency!!

I guess that's a good thing, because the machine just pulverized the garlic to smitherines!! Found a new way to puree garlic!!

I have a garlic press but rarely use it. I only use it when I want pureed garlic - like in guacamole. Come to think of it - that's the only time I use it.

It's a bother to wash. That's probably why I rarely use it.

Linda

If you have lots of garlic cloves to smash, has anyone tried smashing them with a heavy skillet? Seems I have seen someone smash and peel the garlic with their knife, then drape a piece of plastic wrap over the garlic and finish pulverizing them with a flat bottom skillet.

I use my garlic press for some recipes and not for others, depends on how small you need the garlic to be. I think mine is made by Tupperware also. I've had it a long time. It works great and is very easy to clean.

evenstranger said:
If you have lots of garlic cloves to smash, has anyone tried smashing them with a heavy skillet? Seems I have seen someone smash and peel the garlic with their knife, then drape a piece of plastic wrap over the garlic and finish pulverizing them with a flat bottom skillet.

Wouldn't you damage/warp your skillet that way?

I have one stored in my drawer..a large Chinese cleaver works a lot better!..just cut off the ends of the clove, then lay the clove on the cutting board and using the flat side of the knife, smash!..the peels will be easy to remove, then, you can dice, sliver, etc.

I also have a Chinese cleaver.

And that's exactly what I use to do! The garlic press though, makes the garlic cloves much more mashed.

Michael in FtW said:
I've had 3-4 over the years and they were all crap. In fact, they were so useless that they are probably the only kitchen gadget that I've thrown away after 1-2 uses without a second thought! I can get the texture I want with a chef's knife ... without muh trouble. If I ever get lazier and decide try another one - I think I'll take the advice of the folks at America's Test Kitchen and get a Zyliss. I see them use one just about every week and it does what I thought the ones I bought would do.

That's the brand I got! It's wonderful but a little tedious to ensure a thorough cleaning. I would use my knife blades to smash the garlic but I'm afraid I might break the knife off the handle or warp it after years of garlic smashing.

advoca said:
I find that the flavour of finely chopped garlic, crushed garlic, and garlic from a press is different.

Anybody else found the same?

And I agree: cleaning a garlic press (even with the little knobs that are supposed to push the remnants out) is a pain in the butt.

I concur; there is a fine difference amon all three forms of mashed garlic.
Cleaning is a bit tedious.

I have one but I rarely use it. It didnt come with a cleaner thingie and it's a pain in the butt to clean. Easier to just use a knife.

Back
Top Bottom