Do cheese and vegetable graters get dull over time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I'll soon find out as I've ordered a new 3 way flat grater. Cuisipro 11.5-Inch 3 Way Grater. The 3 way flat grater I have now is a 40 year old EKCO 3 way grater handed down. It just seems I'm pushing down harder now. I realize it depends on what quality you buy in the first place.

My 40 year old EKCO:

ekco.jpg

The Cuisipro I ordered. Nice and heavy, solidly made ($20 free ship).

cuisipro.jpg

Last edited:
Who didn't have Ekco utensils in their kitchen 40 years ago. Yes they do get dull. And I am surprised yours lasted as long as it has.

When you couldn't afford the more expensive utensil, you bought the Ekco one at Woolworth's. Many years ago I went into a "Kitchen type store". They had those large spoons for stirring the pot with wooden handles and rivets. I bought one. And I still have it along with its mates of egg turner, larger spatula for turning meats, and a restaurant style one. Made by the same company. In fact I have the whole matching set.

Good luck with your new grater. :angel:

I love my Microplane box grater. It only has 2 sides, for medium and fine, but it does everything I need and I use it almost daily. It's dangerously sharp - I usually use cut resistant gloves with it.

If I need to slice more than I want to do with the knife, I use my mandoline.

I like plain flat one kind graders. And if you get good quality they less for a very long time

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I like plain flat one kind graders. And if you get good quality they less for a very long time

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I occasionally need to zest an orange and didn't want to buy a separate grater just for that. I never found the need to coarse grate food. It's probably not as fast grating using a one kind grater. I believe these 3 way types are medium and fine. The box types are nice, but would take up too much space in my drawer.

Last edited:
BTW...I Googled my question. My search hit results didn't even discuss it :LOL:

Addie did. A 40 year old EKCO grater like mine dulls over time. Case closed. :)

Last edited:
T:wo things to add (please excuse this computer.....it's from the mideast and some of the keys are oddly placed, especially the capitals.......and not all letters come out and it makes me look like `i can't spell and most capitals will come with a quotation marks````````````..........`i just don't have the inclination to erase and start all over again...so forgive....:) `i'm really not dumb

With that being said, `i like the old fashioned flat ones, Charilie, but have fallen in love with the ones that have handles, too.........so my drawer of utensil items has filled up even more......:)

`i just wanted to say that `i still use the old

this stupid computer, `i'm going to throw it in the trash...........`i wanted to finsh with `i still use the old one when `i want to grate large cheeses and a lot.......there...........now `i'm going to throw this computer in the trash it frustrates me so........

It got ridiculous with me researching my question on Google about this and finally getting hit results about how to sharpen cheese grates (?). Who does that, I wonder.

:LOL:

Last edited:
I have my Mom's old flat graters, three different ones - coarse, medium, and fine. I remember her having them back when I was a kid, over 50 years ago. I use the medium and coarse all the time, no problem. Maybe you think you're pushing harder, but it's just that you aren't as strong as you were way back when? :D

I never use the fine one because it is such a pain in the neck to get the zest from those tiny knuckle biters. I prefer my Microplane zester these days for both citrus zest and finely grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.

I have my Mom's old flat graters, three different ones - coarse, medium, and fine. I remember her having them back when I was a kid, over 50 years ago. I use the medium and coarse all the time, no problem. Maybe you think you're pushing harder, but it's just that you aren't as strong as you were way back when? :D

I never use the fine one because it is such a pain in the neck to get the zest from those tiny knuckle biters. I prefer my Microplane zester these days for both citrus zest and finely grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.
if you have not bought a certified zester, CG, they are the best investment ever..........I have NEVER regretted buying one..........it makes the the job so mucy easier.........I didn't want to spend the money but then when I bought one and saw how easy it was I kicked myself for all those years of frustration............in doubt, ask for one as a Christmas, Birthday, or special event present..........

I have a stainless steel box grater and use more than one side. I also have a fine and coarse microplane. I use the microplanes for small stuff like zesting one or two lemons/limes or grating cheese onto our plates for the two of us.

https://www.amazon.com/Browne-Stainless-Steel-Coarse-Grater/dp/B00062KT4O

This is the kind I have. Not necessary from Amazon. Do not remember where I got mine, it's been long time. I could not find a picture, but I have exactly the same but with small holes. Ok, I do have two or three of other kinds. These are my favorite ones. I also like my box graters.

I use coarse grater a lot actually.

Many years ago I received the micro plane zester as a gift. Then I purchased a six sided box grater. When I have more lemons that I am not going to be using in the near future, I zest it and juice the lemon. It goes into the freezer.

I don't find it hard to clean the zester. Run hot water on the back in the opposite direction of the zesting. Also a quick bang on the edge of the bowl releases a lot of the zest.

The box grater is wide enough that my small hand fits into it. Easy to clean. Except for the citrus I use the box grater more often. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom