"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-28-2016, 01:05 AM   #11
Head Chef

It got ridiculous with me researching my question on Google about this and finally getting hit results about how to sharpen cheese grates (?). Who does that, I wonder.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:25 AM   #12
Master Chef

I have my Mom's old flat graters, three different ones - coarse, medium, and fine. I remember her having them back when I was a kid, over 50 years ago. I use the medium and coarse all the time, no problem. Maybe you think you're pushing harder, but it's just that you aren't as strong as you were way back when?

I never use the fine one because it is such a pain in the neck to get the zest from those tiny knuckle biters. I prefer my Microplane zester these days for both citrus zest and finely grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:35 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I have my Mom's old flat graters, three different ones - coarse, medium, and fine. I remember her having them back when I was a kid, over 50 years ago. I use the medium and coarse all the time, no problem. Maybe you think you're pushing harder, but it's just that you aren't as strong as you were way back when?

I never use the fine one because it is such a pain in the neck to get the zest from those tiny knuckle biters. I prefer my Microplane zester these days for both citrus zest and finely grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.
if you have not bought a certified zester, CG, they are the best investment ever..........I have NEVER regretted buying one..........it makes the the job so mucy easier.........I didn't want to spend the money but then when I bought one and saw how easy it was I kicked myself for all those years of frustration............in doubt, ask for one as a Christmas, Birthday, or special event present..........
Old 09-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
i still use the old one when `i want to grate large cheeses and a lot.
I use my food processor when I want to grate a lot of cheese. Goes much faster.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a stainless steel box grater and use more than one side. I also have a fine and coarse microplane. I use the microplanes for small stuff like zesting one or two lemons/limes or grating cheese onto our plates for the two of us.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #16
Master Chef

https://www.amazon.com/Browne-Stainl.../dp/B00062KT4O

This is the kind I have. Not necessary from Amazon. Do not remember where I got mine, it's been long time. I could not find a picture, but I have exactly the same but with small holes. Ok, I do have two or three of other kinds. These are my favorite ones. I also like my box graters.

I use coarse grater a lot actually.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Many years ago I received the micro plane zester as a gift. Then I purchased a six sided box grater. When I have more lemons that I am not going to be using in the near future, I zest it and juice the lemon. It goes into the freezer.

I don't find it hard to clean the zester. Run hot water on the back in the opposite direction of the zesting. Also a quick bang on the edge of the bowl releases a lot of the zest.

The box grater is wide enough that my small hand fits into it. Easy to clean. Except for the citrus I use the box grater more often.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #18
Master Chef

for zesting I just use the small hand-held one.......it has like a rasp on the end...........and it works great...........
Old 09-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #19
Master Chef

I understand that's how snails can carve away at plants as they have rasp-like mouth parts..........ok.......totally useless knowledge.......:) but you never know ......
Old 09-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
if you have not bought a certified zester, CG, they are the best investment ever...
What is a "certified zester"? I have two different zesters made by Microplane. They work wonderfully.

Tags
cheese