Do you use a scale for any kind of cooking/baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also have a mechanical scale....used mainly when I had my restaurant...it is best for baking....not only speed but makes all batches very consistent. I find it eliminates another variable if the results are not what you were expecting....lol

I have a cheap "Good Cook" "electronic scale" that I bought at Wal-mart for about $25. I use it primarily for baking, weighing meats, and a few other odd-ball things that I like weights for.

It weighs in both pounds/ounces, and grams, with an accuracy of +/- 2g.

Psiguyy said:
I should mention that I also have an old Taylor spring scale that was my mother's. I use ti portion out foods to pack for the freezer. For instance, I'll buy 20 lbs of hamburger on sale. I portion it out into 1 and 2 lb bags. Hard to do that by eye, hence the scale.

If you have a really accurate scale, you can use it to count coins to put into rolls. Just weigh the proper amount of coins once. Then weigh the rest.

You can also use it as a postage scale. Again, assuming it's accurate enough.

I also use my scale for portioning out meats. Since I am single I make mine in 1/2 lb. packages. Every once in awhile I will weigh beans or rice, etc. for a recipe.

choclatechef said:
I own a scale, but I don't use it.

It is a wonderful antique cast iron and brass lever scale. It works perfectly, but I don't cook by weight.

Choclatechef, I have read in more than one place that it's better to weigh flour than to measure it when baking bread. Anything to this, in your opinion?

I have a little cheapie scale that I got at a Target's or someplace like that. It's good for weighing things like meat cuts, but it's not finely calibrated -- if that's the word -- enough for anything else. I make do, but a good scales is on my wishlist. I have to say, I'd find it very inconvenient not to have some sort of scale. Like, for example, if a recipe calls for five ounces of pasta, and you have an eight-ounce box.

Catseye said:
choclatechef said:
I own a scale, but I don't use it.

It is a wonderful antique cast iron and brass lever scale. It works perfectly, but I don't cook by weight.

Choclatechef, I have read in more than one place that it's better to weigh flour than to measure it when baking bread. Anything to this, in your opinion?

I have a little cheapie scale that I got at a Target's or someplace like that. It's good for weighing things like meat cuts, but it's not finely calibrated -- if that's the word -- enough for anything else. I make do, but a good scales is on my wishlist. I have to say, I'd find it very inconvenient not to have some sort of scale. Like, for example, if a recipe calls for five ounces of pasta, and you have an eight-ounce box.

Catseye, I am sure that is "something to this", because I have also read it.

I think it would be a good idea for a beginning baker to use this technology if it is not a problem to buy a scale. This would be especially true if you are having baking problems.

However, I have been baking for many years, professionally and at home without one. I have excellent results without it. I say, if it is not broke, don't fix it, unless you are bored and want to experiment. I just don't care to experiment, with this particular issue.

choclatechef said:
I have been baking for many years, professionally and at home without one. I have excellent results without it. I say, if it is not broke, don't fix it, unless you are bored and want to experiment. I just don't care to experiment, with this particular issue.

Thanks for your sensible advice, Choclatechef. I'm thinking I have enough of a task to master the fundamentals without worrying about weight vs. measure. If it works for you, it'll certainly work for me! :)

Cats

"I guess it does save time, but I am retired, and time saving is not such a big deal to me that I must needs learn a new method at my age; and lord knows I will never learn the metric system!"

Ironic that you say that, because it was only after I purchased my scale and began doing things the correct way (by weight) that I learned your backward American system :) I can now convert grams to ounces, pounds to kg and such in my head with no problem.

One point I did forget to make....if you use a scale to "bake with" you do not need to sift your flour for measurement purposes. It all seems to boil down to what you are most comfortable. Pst :)

I have an older mechanical scale that I don't use for cooking. Also have a digital postal type scale that I purchased specifically for soapmaking. I have used it a few time for other cooking related work, but primarily use it to weigh ingredients when making soaps.

Most of the cookbooks and recipes I use for food are measurements rather than weights.

I'm about to learn cheesemaking so I might be dragging that scale out again.
:)

I have one of those 16 oz cheapies, which I use to break down a 10 lb tube of hamburger, into one pound pkgs, for the freezer. Not terribly accurate, but it works for me.

pts1can, what do you you mean when you say "if you use a scale to "bake with" you do not need to sift your flour"? Does this mean that you weigh the flour, then just sift whatever has been measured out?

About a month ago, at Ross, I saw a digital scale for 8.99, and I didn't get it. I could just kick myself! I have been feeling like I need it more often lately. Went back to Ross today and got one of those cheapie non digital scales. The brand is Thinner. It was only 5.99. I haven't decided yet if I will keep this. I don't know if it's what I need.

I need input...should I get a nicer digital scale? I would probably primarily use it to measure meats when repacking bulk foods. But I would also use it on a daily basis to track food I'm eating for weight management purposes. I'm wondering if the one I just bought will be sensitive enough for that. I would measure meats and veggies out and slowly start using it when baking.

Thanks!

My former SO is a type II diabetic with a very strict regimen, so I used the scale for everything. Now I just use it occasionally.

I have a wonderful scale that can go to either grams or ounces. It is digital, about 7 inches across, an inch and a half thick. Easy to store. Stainless steel, so easy to clean.

Pam

You can also turn it on after placing your bowl or container on it, then it automatical begins at zero, it does not weigh the bowl.

Htc....if you "scale" your flour you do not need to sift it at all....the reason for sifting flour is so that it is a consistent texture so when you "cup" it you end up with a consistent measurement.....of course if you weight the flour, time and time again, a pound is a pound. I find that my results are much more consistent when I weight my ingredients. Pst :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom