"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-08-2004, 09:05 PM   #21
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
What's wrong with that Michael?

Old 11-08-2004, 10:13 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to pst1can
I also have a mechanical scale....used mainly when I had my restaurant...it is best for baking....not only speed but makes all batches very consistent. I find it eliminates another variable if the results are not what you were expecting....lol

Old 11-08-2004, 11:34 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I have a cheap "Good Cook" "electronic scale" that I bought at Wal-mart for about $25. I use it primarily for baking, weighing meats, and a few other odd-ball things that I like weights for.

It weighs in both pounds/ounces, and grams, with an accuracy of +/- 2g.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:04 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
I should mention that I also have an old Taylor spring scale that was my mother's. I use ti portion out foods to pack for the freezer. For instance, I'll buy 20 lbs of hamburger on sale. I portion it out into 1 and 2 lb bags. Hard to do that by eye, hence the scale.

If you have a really accurate scale, you can use it to count coins to put into rolls. Just weigh the proper amount of coins once. Then weigh the rest.

You can also use it as a postage scale. Again, assuming it's accurate enough.
I also use my scale for portioning out meats. Since I am single I make mine in 1/2 lb. packages. Every once in awhile I will weigh beans or rice, etc. for a recipe.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:07 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I own a scale, but I don't use it.

It is a wonderful antique cast iron and brass lever scale. It works perfectly, but I don't cook by weight.
Choclatechef, I have read in more than one place that it's better to weigh flour than to measure it when baking bread. Anything to this, in your opinion?

I have a little cheapie scale that I got at a Target's or someplace like that. It's good for weighing things like meat cuts, but it's not finely calibrated -- if that's the word -- enough for anything else. I make do, but a good scales is on my wishlist. I have to say, I'd find it very inconvenient not to have some sort of scale. Like, for example, if a recipe calls for five ounces of pasta, and you have an eight-ounce box.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catseye
Quote:
I own a scale, but I don't use it.

It is a wonderful antique cast iron and brass lever scale. It works perfectly, but I don't cook by weight.
Choclatechef, I have read in more than one place that it's better to weigh flour than to measure it when baking bread. Anything to this, in your opinion?

I have a little cheapie scale that I got at a Target's or someplace like that. It's good for weighing things like meat cuts, but it's not finely calibrated -- if that's the word -- enough for anything else. I make do, but a good scales is on my wishlist. I have to say, I'd find it very inconvenient not to have some sort of scale. Like, for example, if a recipe calls for five ounces of pasta, and you have an eight-ounce box.
Catseye, I am sure that is "something to this", because I have also read it.

I think it would be a good idea for a beginning baker to use this technology if it is not a problem to buy a scale. This would be especially true if you are having baking problems.

However, I have been baking for many years, professionally and at home without one. I have excellent results without it. I say, if it is not broke, don't fix it, unless you are bored and want to experiment. I just don't care to experiment, with this particular issue.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:47 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
I have been baking for many years, professionally and at home without one. I have excellent results without it. I say, if it is not broke, don't fix it, unless you are bored and want to experiment. I just don't care to experiment, with this particular issue.
Thanks for your sensible advice, Choclatechef. I'm thinking I have enough of a task to master the fundamentals without worrying about weight vs. measure. If it works for you, it'll certainly work for me! :)

Cats
Old 11-09-2004, 03:52 PM   #28
Senior Cook

"I guess it does save time, but I am retired, and time saving is not such a big deal to me that I must needs learn a new method at my age; and lord knows I will never learn the metric system!"

Ironic that you say that, because it was only after I purchased my scale and began doing things the correct way (by weight) that I learned your backward American system :) I can now convert grams to ounces, pounds to kg and such in my head with no problem.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:16 PM   #29

OMG, there are two of them!
Old 11-13-2004, 10:47 AM   #30
Senior Cook

same as marmalady

I have a small plastic inexpensive scale that will weight up to three lb of food and I use it almost exclusively for chocolate...

Jocelyne