Do you use a zester?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any kitchen store would carry them. You can also order them online. They originated are a wood working tool (called a wood rasp) so you can even get them in hardware stores.

Any kitchen store would carry them. You can also order them online. They originated are a wood working tool (called a wood rasp) so you can even get them in hardware stores.

I would stick with a food grade stainless steel version. The ones made for wood are carbon steel and would eventually rust. Originally called a Surform.

I got mine online somewhere. I think I just googled microplane and picked a cookware related site.
The hardware store by me did not have te kitchen/SS grade microplanes like Jeeks mentioned.

Sometimes that's not small enough and it goes too deep, catching the pith. It's amazing how fresher the taste is without that bitter pith :cool:

I agree. The zester and the microplane have different uses for the peel. Sometimes you need the strips for looks rather than to flavor a dish. If you use a vegetable peeler you take a chance on getting the bitter white pith. I think the zester does a quicker, better job.

Attachments

• zester.jpg
    zester.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 90
I have 2 microplanes, one from OXO and the other I picked up at some discount store. Love both of them, but I'm not sure if they're food grade stainless or not.

thank you everyone, but i think i'm gonna stick wtih myh potato peeler, and a light hand. i don't zest too much.

Ummmmmmmmm...not if you ask someone in the store. I am SURE, they can guide you in the right direction.

not to mention, a peel is just fundamentally incorrect for zesting. Sure, it can be done, but why not utilize a tool that makes life easier. Don't be a culinary Luddite, lol.

You can't go online and search for microplane zester and purchase that or go into a store that sells kitchen tools and ask for a microplane zester?

Back
Top Bottom