"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 08-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
What's that supposed to mean?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
What's that supposed to mean?
I think Jeekinz was attempting to use a humorous reference (Tim Allen and his popular TV sitcom show, Home Improvement - his show on the show "Tool TIme" and how his character uses, or rather misuses, tools) to make the statement that some people are getting way too testy and taking this thread way too personal if someone doesn't agree with what someone else uses, where they bought it, what they paid for it, etc.

zest: The outermost part of the rind of an orange, lemon, lime or other citrus fruit, used as flavoring

zester: a tool used to remove the outermost part of the rind of an orange, lemon, lime or other citrus fruit, used as flavoring

You can use a vegetable peeler for wide strips of zest (we used to do that when I was tending bar so when we added a twist to get the essential oil out of of the zest we were not getting the bitter oils from the pith - and we needed something wide enough to "twist"), you can use a "zester" that strips off thin (like a chiffonade) strips of zest (you can do the same thing with a vegetable peeler and a chef's knife), you can use the fine grating side of a box grater for grated zest ... the "microplane" is just the latest tool to create "grated" zest - easier and more efficient to use than the box grater.

When the TV chefs first started using, and promoting, the microplane for zesting and grating hard cheeses - they were buying them in hardware stores - they were just replacement blades for a wood shaping tool - they didn't come with handles.

There is more than one way to zest an orange/lemon/lime ...

Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #53
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
I think Jeekinz was attempting to use a humorous reference (Tim Allen and his popular TV sitcom show, Home Improvement - his show on the show "Tool TIme" and how his character uses, or rather misuses, tools) to make the statement that some people are getting way too testy and taking this thread way too personal if someone doesn't agree with what someone else uses, where they bought it, what they paid for it, etc.

zest: The outermost part of the rind of an orange, lemon, lime or other citrus fruit, used as flavoring

zester: a tool used to remove the outermost part of the rind of an orange, lemon, lime or other citrus fruit, used as flavoring

You can use a vegetable peeler for wide strips of zest (we used to do that when I was tending bar so when we added a twist to get the essential oil out of of the zest we were not getting the bitter oils from the pith - and we needed something wide enough to "twist"), you can use a "zester" that strips off thin (like a chiffonade) strips of zest (you can do the same thing with a vegetable peeler and a chef's knife), you can use the fine grating side of a box grater for grated zest ... the "microplane" is just the latest tool to create "grated" zest - easier and more efficient to use than the box grater.

When the TV chefs first started using, and promoting, the microplane for zesting and grating hard cheeses - they were buying them in hardware stores - they were just replacement blades for a wood shaping tool - they didn't come with handles.

There is more than one way to zest an orange/lemon/lime ...
hOW COME WHEN I said that's what I do, I got all kinds of flack ?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
hOW COME WHEN I said that's what I do, I got all kinds of flack ?
No one is giving you flack. We were suggesting different ways of zesting that may be easier and more efficient. Use the peeler to your heart's content if you want to, but y'all gotta chill out. (Did I really say "y'all"? )
Old 08-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #55
Sous Chef

You couldn't have, Drama. Y'all is plural.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
To truly zest, and keep as many of those essential oils you can (essential oils equate to flavor) a microplane (or other brand but same basic principle - you have the pictures) should be used. Once you chop your piece you used your vegetable peeler on I would imagine most of those oils would be on your cutting board. If it were me, I would search the net for one on a kitchen site, or go to any kitchen store, and buy one (save on shipping and handling). A small one will work fine - I have a long one and it's a lot of wasted space.

Surely we have "helped" as much as possible with this question. MW - I'll pick you up in 10 minutes and we'll go shopping -

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Come down to Concord Mills and I'll join you for the shopping trip.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #58
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
You couldn't have, Drama. Y'all is plural.
WRONG!!! The plural of y'all is ALL Y'ALL. roflmao
Old 08-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #59
Executive Chef

A reply from Microplane:

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in our products . Yes you can use the wood tool for kitchen but I caution you that the wood tool is made out of heavier metal and might rust and the kitchen tool is softer metal but it will not rust . I hope I have answered your question . If there is anything else I can do let me know .Have a grate weekend .
I can forward the original email if anyone wants it.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Come down to Concord Mills and I'll join you for the shopping trip.
Oh, what a good idea!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote