Do you use a zester?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
When I zest, I just use a vegetable peeler and it takes a little time, but gets the job done. I understand oneb can buy a Zester - does anyone have one and how do they like it?

thanks

I have a zester as well as a microplane, I use both. It depends if I want longish strip of zest with the zester, or I use the microplane and get the smaller zest of a lemon or orange.

I recommend a microplane over a dedicated zester. 1) it is a multitasker, 2)better then a 5 channel zester, 3)you can use to grind hard spices on.

A veggie peeler, imo, is going to cut too deep if you are not paying attention and you will get the pith. And even then, a peeler is only going to yield a wide strip of hopefully only the outer most layer of fruit, and you still have to cut it down further, or mince it.

A proper zester is a l"semi" imited tool, but worth keeping in the kitchen arsenal, and well preferred over a veggie peeler.

I like my zester (I always called it a channel knife) but what you want is a microplane - I LOVE that too. You can use it for Parmesan, obviously fruit zest, and I have grated other things on it too like fresh ginger.

I much prefer a microplane to a zester. It's much faster and very effective. I especially like that when I'm zesting multiple lemons for Alix's lemon bar recipe.

I have a zester and microplane. The microplane gets used a lot, the zester, occasionally.

Wow you're using a peeler to get the zest off? That's like using a paring knife to carve a turkey. It can be done, but why bother? A sharp knife is more efficient to get the zest off a fruit than a peeler if one doesn't have a microplane or a zester.

Out of the two, I much prefer a microplane, but if cost is an issue, a zester is a fraction of the price.

I have both a zester and a microplane. Most of the time I use the microplane but some recipes call for the long, thin strips of zest. That's when I use the zester.

Never thought of using a vegetable peeler. Seems it would take too long and be more labor intensive than I'd care to get into. Just me.

I bought a microplane last year. I've used it a few times and it doesn't take up much room. I'd recommend one, but have never used a true zester. Wouldn't a cheese grater work?

I had a zester but threw it away after hubby bought me a microplane. It's so much easier and works much better.

That's like using a paring knife to carve a turkey. It can be done, but why bother?
that is exactly how my dad carved last years Thanksgiving turkey. I am still not sure why he did that as he is an excellent carver and always uses a carving knife. He did an amazing job with the paring knife though and in the same amount of time it usually takes him.

I use a microplane for my zesting needs. It works very well and has other uses too.

I have a few different models:

1) A small, 5" tall triangular grater/zester I bought from Marshalls for something like 5 bucks. It works great. One side has a slicer, one a small grater, and one a fine grater/zester. Works great for tableside parmesan or fresh nutmex etc.

2) Two different Microplane brand tools. One is a fine grater and the other is a zester. We bought these because everyone used them. The sharpness is impecable, but I don't like how narrow the surfaces are. Many times I was rushing to grate cheese or something in the last minutes of cooking dinner and got cut. I never use those now, but I think the DW uses them once in a while.

3) A wider grater. The surface on this is about 4" long by 3" wide compared to 1" wide on the Microplane brand. When the triangle is dirty or being used on another ingredient, I use the wider grater. It's fine enough for zest and coarse enough to make mounds of parmesan.

4) I also have this style zester, which I barely use but it's pretty safe to operate.

Well while we're on the subject.......I dont have a microplane or a zester, yes Im a little behind the times when it comes to kitchen gadgets:ermm:Any suggestions on what to use for whole nutmeg???

a microplane is a great kitchen tool...zests citrus without the pith, makes feathery grated parmesan, does garlic or onion for the finnicky etc. and they are not expensive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom