"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-19-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Duralex "mini bowls" as seen on many cooking shows

These are those little mini bowls that you see on Emeril and many other cooking shows. The chefs use them for their prepped (minced, chopped, diced, nuts, liquids, etc) ingredients and when they are demonstrating they just grab the bowl and dump them into what they are making.

This seems like mission impossible for me. About 2 years ago I found sets of 3 bowls (the smallest Duralex sizes) at the supermarket and I bought 3 sets. Since then I have found them NO WHERE!

Well, I found them at one place ... William Sonoma, BUT they only have those bowls in bigger sets. So to get the 3 sizes I want, I would need to buy sets of 7 (I think it was). I wanted like 5 more sets, so buying 5 sets of 7 is not going to happen for me since I don't need the bigger sizes.

I have searched google, amazon, and ebay with no luck. Does anyone know where I can get the sets of 3?

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I find and like chinese rice bowls for this purpose. Decorative and multifunctional, ice cream, veggie dips, I don't know the price comparison but they work for me and for other uses. Just Google in Chinese rice bowls and see what you think.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I use ramekins. They come with every set of pyrex, corningware, or any other oven proof dish sets you buy or receive as gifts, so I have them coming out of my ears. I have never run out.

Other than that, the best place to buy little bowls like that is Cost Plus World Market. They have ramekins in just about any size you'd want.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
I use ramekins. They come with every set of pyrex, corningware, or any other oven proof dish sets you buy or receive as gifts, so I have them coming out of my ears. I have never run out.

Other than that, the best place to buy little bowls like that is Cost Plus World Market. They have ramekins in just about any size you'd want.
I love ramekins for prepped ingredients and for garnishes. They're the perfect size, and you can buy them separately. I have about half a dozen. I do also like Chinese rice bowls, especially when the ingredients might overflow my little ramekins.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Head Chef

I use pyrex and stainless steel bowls which I get from Williams Sonoma and I don't know what they are called.

They fit my needs very well and I am happy with them.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

The idea of the small ramekins is nice because it is more than one use for them. HOwever, here are all the kinds you might ever need.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...=amd-google-20
Old 10-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevkile
I find and like chinese rice bowls for this purpose. Decorative and multifunctional, ice cream, veggie dips, I don't know the price comparison but they work for me and for other uses. Just Google in Chinese rice bowls and see what you think.

Also, you might want to try the mini prep bowls made by Tools of the Trade. They are a durable melamine material and are dishwasher safe. I got those from Macy's. They come in a set of six.

Yes and speaking of Chinese or Asian food, most recipes would have you prep everything first so that it can be thrown into the hot pan or wok, especially when stir-frying because it cooks very quickly.

Corey123.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Pampered Chef has a set of 6 with lids that I like.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Don't tempt me to get that set. I'm already a bowl freak and have enough bowls in the house, large and small.

~Corey123.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjx
These are those little mini bowls that you see on Emeril and many other cooking shows. The chefs use them for their prepped (minced, chopped, diced, nuts, liquids, etc) ingredients and when they are demonstrating they just grab the bowl and dump them into what they are making.

This seems like mission impossible for me. About 2 years ago I found sets of 3 bowls (the smallest Duralex sizes) at the supermarket and I bought 3 sets. Since then I have found them NO WHERE!

Well, I found them at one place ... William Sonoma, BUT they only have those bowls in bigger sets. So to get the 3 sizes I want, I would need to buy sets of 7 (I think it was). I wanted like 5 more sets, so buying 5 sets of 7 is not going to happen for me since I don't need the bigger sizes.

I have searched google, amazon, and ebay with no luck. Does anyone know where I can get the sets of 3?

Thanks.
There are also a number of different prep bowl sets at cooking.com under the cooks tools - specialty tools menu.