Egg Rings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I used a short pineapple can with both ends cut out to cook an "egg mcmuffin" style egg a few weeks ago. I put the can in the DW when I was through and it came out rusty, so I went and ordered myself a couple egg rings, complete with instructions on the packaging.
The instructions say to cook the egg long enough so you can take the ring off and flip it to finish... :ermm:
When I used the can I put a lid on it and sprinkled a little water into the pan, working some under the ring, to get a steam effect.

So how do y'all do this? What is the "right way" to use an egg ring? There's something about the instructions that has me thinking I'll be flipping onto a still raw egg surface and the egg won't have that nice neat look to it.

I don't bother with flipping, I like sunny side up. Shrek does the water and lid thing to steam the tops, he doesn't flip either. I love the egg rings for making sandwich eggs.

Super. I'll stick with what I did and that worked before... before I had *professional* egg rings that came with instructions ;)

No flipping here either. I use a biscuit cutter.

Break the egg in the cutter, top with cheese and cook slowly in my 12" CI. Also grill an English muffin on another part of the pan and a few sausage links on another part of the pan.

You can cover the skillet with a spatter guard or pan lid to help cook the top if you like.

Good point about toasting the muffin in the same pan. I was going to use the toaster oven. I never think of bread in the pan unless I'm making toasted cheese or egg in a hole (toad in the hole, bullseye, etc).

I like E. Muffins in the pan better than in the toaster. Makes me feel like I'm in a diner.

Egg, bacon and cheese on a toasted English muffin spread with mayo is our favorite breakfast Pac !

I've never bothered with an egg ring for the eggs though. I drop the egg into the skillet with some of the bacon fat, break the yolk and then start shoving the white into something that is "close enough" to round, and flip it over after it's set for a bit. I tear the slice of cheese into quarters to fit on the muffin better and top it with the egg and bacon. Works fine for me.
;):yum:

I have two different sets of egg rings and I never use them because the egg kept creeping underneath, resulting in a messy egg.

Instead I have a Joie Small Fry (4½-inch) pan which is perfect for making a single egg for an Egg McMuffin type sandwich. I didn't buy mine at Amazon.com, though. I picked it up in my regular groshree store for $6.95 plus tax.

msc-mini-fry-pan-125.jpg

I also have a two egg size (5½-inch) mini-frying pan I picked up at Cost Plus World Market for $7.95 plus tax, which is perfect for making two eggs to put on top of pancakes or waffles.

6a7c9770b617be39e043b2f8a96b7909.image.150x150.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I do now, Kayelle, but there's something about that 1/2" thick egg that just adds to the whole texture of the sandwich. (imo)

That's what I do now, Kayelle, but there's something about that 1/2" thick egg that just adds to the whole texture of the sandwich. (imo)

The single pan that SLOF suggested works well. I have one too, mine came with a small egg whisk with the same little egg on legs on it. Not sure why people would scramble one egg though :pig:

I use the egg rings for poached eggs only. They do help control those runaway whites. They drive me crazy and make the egg look so unappealing. :angel:

I learned how to make eggs in egg rings at my very first job, McDonalds. And we did flip. The eggs held their shape just fine. ;)

I learned how to make eggs in egg rings at my very first job, McDonalds. And we did flip. The eggs held their shape just fine. ;)

Well dang, a flipper :chef:
And since an egg McMuffin is what I am trying to duplicate... seems like a no brainer to try flipping the egg, also.

So was a lid involved before the flip? What did you look for before you flipped?

Egg McMuffins are slightly scrambled.

When I bite an egg sandwich, I want yolk...all over. Yes, I wear a bib!

PrincessFiona60 said:
Egg McMuffins are slightly scrambled.

When I bite an egg sandwich, I want yolk...all over. Yes, I wear a bib!

All we did was pop the yolk. And they just looked solid before the flip.

I got to thinking about this and my favorite egg ring is a piece of buttered bread (both sides) with a hole cut in it with a biscuit cutter. Again, I flip when the egg looks done. Fry up the little rounds too!!

All we did was pop the yolk. And they just looked solid before the flip.

I got to thinking about this and my favorite egg ring is a piece of buttered bread (both sides) with a hole cut in it with a biscuit cutter. Again, I flip when the egg looks done. Fry up the little rounds too!!

Just looked solid, gotcha.

Love egg in a frame... so many names they go by.
I just used a glass to cut the hole, but now that I have official egg rings I can use those! :LOL:

I don't flip my egg. I just put a pie tin over the pan and that cooks the top just fine. I can take the tin off while the yolk is still soft and runny, or leave the tin on until the yolk gets cooked through.

I'm getting kinda good at this :angel:

Attachments

• McMuffin.jpg
    McMuffin.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 342
Back
Top Bottom