"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Egg Rings

I used a short pineapple can with both ends cut out to cook an "egg mcmuffin" style egg a few weeks ago. I put the can in the DW when I was through and it came out rusty, so I went and ordered myself a couple egg rings, complete with instructions on the packaging.
The instructions say to cook the egg long enough so you can take the ring off and flip it to finish...
When I used the can I put a lid on it and sprinkled a little water into the pan, working some under the ring, to get a steam effect.

So how do y'all do this? What is the "right way" to use an egg ring? There's something about the instructions that has me thinking I'll be flipping onto a still raw egg surface and the egg won't have that nice neat look to it.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't bother with flipping, I like sunny side up. Shrek does the water and lid thing to steam the tops, he doesn't flip either. I love the egg rings for making sandwich eggs.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Super. I'll stick with what I did and that worked before... before I had *professional* egg rings that came with instructions

Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

No flipping here either. I use a biscuit cutter.

Break the egg in the cutter, top with cheese and cook slowly in my 12" CI. Also grill an English muffin on another part of the pan and a few sausage links on another part of the pan.

You can cover the skillet with a spatter guard or pan lid to help cook the top if you like.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Good point about toasting the muffin in the same pan. I was going to use the toaster oven. I never think of bread in the pan unless I'm making toasted cheese or egg in a hole (toad in the hole, bullseye, etc).
Old 10-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I like E. Muffins in the pan better than in the toaster. Makes me feel like I'm in a diner.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Master Chef

Egg, bacon and cheese on a toasted English muffin spread with mayo is our favorite breakfast Pac !

I've never bothered with an egg ring for the eggs though. I drop the egg into the skillet with some of the bacon fat, break the yolk and then start shoving the white into something that is "close enough" to round, and flip it over after it's set for a bit. I tear the slice of cheese into quarters to fit on the muffin better and top it with the egg and bacon. Works fine for me.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

For cookie cutters, etc., that rust, after washing, I dry them on the burner of the stove for a couple of minutes.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I have two different sets of egg rings and I never use them because the egg kept creeping underneath, resulting in a messy egg.

Instead I have a Joie Small Fry (4-inch) pan which is perfect for making a single egg for an Egg McMuffin type sandwich. I didn't buy mine at Amazon.com, though. I picked it up in my regular groshree store for $6.95 plus tax.

I also have a two egg size (5-inch) mini-frying pan I picked up at Cost Plus World Market for $7.95 plus tax, which is perfect for making two eggs to put on top of pancakes or waffles.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

That's what I do now, Kayelle, but there's something about that 1/2" thick egg that just adds to the whole texture of the sandwich. (imo)

Tags
egg