Eggies --- opinions.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellyCooks

Senior Cook
My nephew gave me a set of Eggies. They are advertised on television and look like a great accessory in the kitchen. BUT ... They are not what they are advertised to be. Supposedly, they make boiling eggs easier, but instead they make boiling an egg a very difficult procedure. My nephew has asked me several times if I have tried the Eggies he had given me. So, I tried boiling six eggs in the Eggies cups to make deviled eggs, but not one turned out well enough to stuff. I had to make the eggs into a dip. Believe me, it is so much easier to boil eggs the "old fashioned" way! Don't fall for this --- it is definitely not worth one penny of the cost! (Anyway, why would anyone want to boil an egg in plastic cups instead of the natural shell Mother Nature gave it?)

Has anyone an opinion about this product?

Shrek bought two packages of the Eggies, he did eggs the next day, at least only one dozen. When i got home all the Eggies were in the trash and there was a huge bowl of egg salad. And a very angry Ogre.

I guess it would depend how much you hate doing dishes vs how much you hate peeling eggs lol. Personally I could peel 6 eggs faster than I could crack eggs into these containers, screw the tops on, get the eggs out, then wash them. True, you don't have to wait for the eggs to cool, but who minds waiting for 5 min while eggs sit in some ice water?? I haven't tried them, and I don't plan to. What an odd product.

I bought some for my son as a gag gift for Christmas. I had a coupon.

Maybe spray the inside with olive oil spray?

Last edited:
SO has a plastic device she uses to 'poach' eggs in the microwave. If you don't oil the interior before adding the eggs, you're in trouble.

All this labor to get around a tiny bit of work!:ROFLMAO:

I do them the traditional way, then crush one spot on the shell and roll them between my hands. The shells just fall off.:yum::chef:

All this drama over hard boiling some eggs! :LOL::rolleyes:

LOL! Shrek was looking for a less labor intensive way to do hard boiled eggs. He does about two dozen a week as he eats two a day at lunch.

I don't understand how these Eggies will save any labor at all. Plus, you gotta clean them after using, right? Cooking eggs the traditional way requires only a few seconds at the sink to clean your cooking pot. Once cooled I don't find it any problem to remove HB eggs from their shells. Plus, the shells make handy storage containers, disposable!

It seems to me that the only advantage of Eggies that I can see is to give the manufacturer a profit, nothing I care about.

I prefer to stick with traditional cooking methods and traditional cookware.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you gotta clean and store those gadgets too! I like my cooking gadgets too, it's just that most of them are fairly traditional, although not necessarily to typical American or European cooking. For example: sushi making stuff.

My next gadget could be a heavy duty mixer for baking. I've already got a blender, food processors (a big one and a small one), rice maker, couple of stick blenders, etc. I'd call all of them traditional cooking equipment more than gadgets.

The Eggies look like useless gadgets to me. I'll admit I've never tried them.

Last edited:
I didn't say buy them, they ended up in the trash here. But, there's something about some things, you just have to see for yourself. If they had worked great and saved Shrek some time they would have been worth it. But since they didn't work great...they didn't survive long.

They were a gift to me and after trying them I would NEVER recommend them to anyone but the plastic recycle bin! I agree with all the above comments --- just another gimmick and, unfortunately, before people catch on to just how useless they are, the manufacturer will have made lots of $$$$!

wait wait wait. . .a gadget to make boiling eggs easier? Never heard of this product before, but sounds like the same company that would make something that makes making ice cubes easier.

wait wait wait. . .a gadget to make boiling eggs easier? Never heard of this product before, but sounds like the same company that would make something that makes making ice cubes easier.
I think that is the ice maker that gets put on the counter...I haven't figured that out. I did a bunch of eggs the other day (I might be related to Shrek--I like HB eggs as a snack and try to limit the number of eggs I eat / day to 2). I whacked the shell on the "big end" and then used LP's trick of using a spoon (because I wanted deviled eggs and wanted them pretty--I also put them on their sides for 24 hours before to center the yolks). The spoon works well--but I don't know that it saved me time. It probably takes less time to peel and egg than it does to peel a head of garlic or an onion...

since hb eggs have a kind of skin that helps the egg seperate from the shell, they need to invent tiny little disposable liners for the eggie that will allow itto seperate from the thing, then you peel the liner off the egg.

or maybe they can make eggies with a non-stick liner.

or cast iron eggies that you season...

lol, i'm kidding of course.

thanks to all for the heads up about yet another crappy "as seen on tv" product.

I think that is the ice maker that gets put on the counter...I haven't figured that out. I did a bunch of eggs the other day (I might be related to Shrek--I like HB eggs as a snack and try to limit the number of eggs I eat / day to 2). I whacked the shell on the "big end" and then used LP's trick of using a spoon (because I wanted deviled eggs and wanted them pretty--I also put them on their sides for 24 hours before to center the yolks). The spoon works well--but I don't know that it saved me time. It probably takes less time to peel and egg than it does to peel a head of garlic or an onion...

You can't be related to Shrek, cuz you and me are cousins!:LOL: The only time I got flowers from Shrek as an apology was after an argument over how to peel boiled eggs.:rolleyes:

You can't be related to Shrek, cuz you and me are cousins!:LOL: The only time I got flowers from Shrek as an apology was after an argument over how to peel boiled eggs.:rolleyes:
Oh right, how could I have forgotten! But, I thought you were my long-lost twin separated at birth? Oh, dear, I'm confused (but then, I'm usually confused).

Back
Top Bottom