Eliminating Counter Top Spice Rack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've been wanting to get a toaster oven or similar, but didn't have the counter space. Karen came up with a great DIY version for spice jars.

tcC34hoJyGX1XRHwGiyOfhMd3swoJN6NOZgaXYpvrBopX92IB

vnBl2AiICiC5FM_lIUHpZcGx-GA0h_zyWFxBJaStXewpX92IB

This cleared enough space for a toaster oven and then some.;):angel:

Let's try this. Can you see them now?

Don't know what happened, the dinner picture from last night is still up. Trying again.

kGTM1UQ8ZceNvs8Ud3-dffPBExZ_ctNN-UCAZ20q9fgpX92IB

a8UXuyGX-zQ68afgKxRcseG-qsZSS2-CS513Z_NU_CgpX92IB

Wow - that is a fantastic idea!

would love to have the links if you could.

But two things... aren't you afraid you will scratch the front of the fridge?

and ... I have one of those 'infamous' (to my mind) "stainless steel" fridges where magnets don't stick!

Jars are found Honeycomb Canning Jar Wholesale, 4 oz |Specialty Bottle . I bought the squat jars so they wouldn't stick out so much.

Magnets are found MAGNET4LESS-APPLIED MAGNETS-Neodymium Magnets-Rare Earth Magnets-Ceramic Magnets-Industrial Magnets-Magnets Wholesale To The Public . You need to buy 4 of this size for each 4-oz jar and 2 for each 1.5 oz jar. There is a reason for buying multiple small instead of 1 big and I'll explain when I write how to later.

I made these for a little over 1/3 of what ready-made jars would cost. Personally, I don't mind spending money for some things, but $300+ for a spice rack with as many jars as we wanted seems a bit excessive.

I shopped around and the above places have the best prices. There are places where jars appear to be cheaper, but they don't come with lids and you have to buy separate. You can also get magnets on EBay cheaper from China, just make sure they are N45 or N52 grade, you can go slightly smaller with N52 grade, but no more than 1/8 inch. There is usually a really long shipping time, plus sometimes you never get things from China at all, so make sure you read reviews.

For those of you that don't want to put on fridge but have wall space, they do sell plates you can hang up on the wall or cabinet that they will stick to. Didn't really notice prices, but I think they were all under $30

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, I'm thinking a magnetic plate or paint on the back splash near the stove.

Won't the heat from the stove cause a problem with the spices or is it far enough away.

I have 5.5' of back splash on each side of the stove. Enough room to play with. I love the fridge idea, though. If I start using mise en place, it wouldn't matter the fridge is almost ten feet away from the stove.

Because I hate things on the counter, I magnetictized the lazy susans in the cupboard over the stove for my spices and herbs. Worked for me.

My sister's spice cupboard has 3 or think probably even 4, lazy susans with her spices. Each tray is labeled alphabetically. A to E/F, F to K/L, L to Q/R, R to V/W... they all fit on as not all spices fall into a letter... :)

But medtran, I like the magnets on the fridge idea better, too bad it just doesn't work in my kitchen, :ermm::cry:

I have a double decker lazy-susan and a regular one. I sure would like to get my hands on a second double decker!

I used to keep spices normally used for savoury on one side and baking/sweet on the other. Now-a-days they are mixed. New recipes use these spices all over the place! :LOL: So it is hard to specify! (I tell yuh! no respect for tradition!)

I have what I call "cookie spices" on one lazy Susan. It's stuff like cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla, cinnamon, etc. Yeah, they get used in savoury dishes too, but I think of them as "cookie spices". :LOL: The rest of my spices and herbs are on or next to one double decker lazy Susan and one single decker.
edit: I forgot the jars I refill from on another shelf.

Don't know what happened, the dinner picture from last night is still up. Trying again.

kGTM1UQ8ZceNvs8Ud3-dffPBExZ_ctNN-UCAZ20q9fgpX92IB

a8UXuyGX-zQ68afgKxRcseG-qsZSS2-CS513Z_NU_CgpX92IB

I love this! I tried the magnetized thing with those little metal cans with the clear window. They looked great, but when you tried to remove the tops it created a vacuum that sucked out the spices, dry leaves and powder didn't do well at all in them. I like this so much more, and it is really easy to see your spice levels. When I redo my kitchen, I'm definitely using this idea!

The reason for using several small magnets instead of 1 big 1 is that the way you put them together increases their strength (or so the DIY site I found to do this says). You alternate the poles and doing that supposedly creates a stronger pull where they join.

The neodymium magnets are strong little suckers even so. Craig and I both were really surprised when they came at how strong they were. I had to work with them in short stints because my fingers got tired trying to pry them apart. You have to slide them apart and it can be a major PITA when you get down to 3 or 4, so I started with a long block of them and added magnets as I went until I used them up. I put them at the edge of the deep freeze and slid the last few apart that way. Be very careful with scissors or knives around them, especially when they are in a big block before you start separating them.

Okay, to put them together, you will need 4 for the 4-oz jars and 2 for the 1.5-oz jars. You will be forming a 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 D square of magnets for the 4-oz jars and a 3/4 long x 3/8 wide x 1/8 D block for the 1.5-oz jar.

Hold 1 magnet flat (the 3/8 sides) between your thumb and forefinger of each hand. KEEPING AT LEAST 1 finger between them, check for the polarity. Trust me, you will feel the push or pull even through 2 fingers. You want them to repel. Turn 1 sideways and let them click together on the 1/8 side. Now, hold them so that both are covered with your thumb and pick up another single magnet with your other hand. Check for the push/pull (again, you want the push/repel), then let it click on at a 90-degree angle so you start to form your square. Do the same for your fourth magnet to make the square.

Make sure you keep at least 1 finger between them when you are putting them together. I learned that the hard way and had to mess with taking them apart too many times.

You need to seal them in something to create a moisture barrier. The easiest way to do that is to wrap them in clear shipping tape. Everyone who has ever taped up a package for shipping knows how well it sticks to itself. Trim as needed. Then stick them inside the jar lid.

We already had a label maker so I just got some black ink on clear tape and made the labels as I filled the jars.

I did this in assembly line fashion. I did anywhere from 10 at a time to 5 when fingers were getting tired. Put the magnets together, then wrapped with the shipping tape, stuck the magnets in the lids, pulled the old spice jars out I was going to empty, made labels, stuck to bottom of jar, and then filled. Make sure you put the label on the bottom before you fill the jar, it's just easier.

I'll take a picture and post it later of a finished lid. I'm going to have to find another photo hosting place again as Amazon is apparently just storage and only lets you have temporary links.

Back
Top Bottom