"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 06-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Favorite Kitchen Apps?

Curious what apps others are using in the kitchen (if any) for tracking recipes, documenting experiments, etc? I've been using Evernote for a long time. What's your favorite?

GregsterGmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
Head Chef
I mostly just use browser bookmarks. Welcome to Discuss Cooking Gregster.

Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
I am afraid I am just too old and really have no interest to go that far into today's technology. I know what I want when I go shopping. I print out my grocery order that I keep running on my computer and then add something when I need it or run out.

I have a very simple free phone and it lets me make calls and text. That is all I need to do.

Welcome to DC. A fun place to be with lots of info. So please do stick around. We love new members. Looking forward to your contributions.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Senior Cook
Shopping list on my phone.
Bookmarks in the browser on my tablet for recipes.
Google docs to keep track of my spices and cookbooks. I turned the latter into a pdf and store on my tablet. I need to update that list.
cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
I keep shopping lists on my Notes app on iPhone. I make a list with check boxes and check off items as the go into the cart. I have a base list that stays on the phone and I add and subtract as needed.

If I find a recipe I want to make, I copy it to my computer. I had issues early on with recipe links disappearing so I just copy and paste into a MSWord document. If I make the recipe and like it, it reformat the Word doc to my standard recipe format and put it into a three-ring binder.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
We use Our Groceries for a synched grocery list. I use Living Cookbook to keep track of my recipes, then print them out and sort them into binders. I also use Evernote to capture recipes when I'm not home (take a photo of a magazine page or clip something I come across online), and then enter it into Living Cookbook later.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
Master Chef
I guess I'm a Luddite at heart, I use the back of an old envelope for my shopping list and store my coupons inside of it.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #8
Master Chef
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I use OurGroceries, and The Recipe Box. DH writes the grocery list on a post-it note, even though OurGroceries goes directly to his iPhone.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
Head Chef
I use Simple Shopping List on my phone, purely for shopping and for far more than just food. I have Living Cookbook on both my desktop and laptop, and I take the laptop into the kitchen when I need to follow a recipe. That is it.

I do have several cooking sites, including this one, bookmarked for quick access.

RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote