"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 03-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
Head Chef

Favorite new kitchen gadget - avacado slicer and pitter

I am a sucker for new kitchen gadgets, and the last time I visited the US (last week), I visited Ross's and perused the racks of kitchen stuff. I found this. http://fantes.com/images/122057avocado.jpg
It takes the pit out of the avocado and then slices it - all you have to do is cut it in half. Yippee! I use alot of avocados and this is the best thing I have found lately......highly recommended. Only $7.99!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Cool! I'll bet you could figure out a way to use it to slice mushrooms, eggs, strawberries, soft cheese, etc. I think you have a new "toy!" Enjoy!

Old 03-07-2008, 05:10 AM   #3
Cook

I love gadgets too! This is my new favourite. It's called smood and is a potato masher from an Australian design company and it's absolutely amazing. I can't figure out how to up load the image but this is the website... Dreamfarm | innovative homewares[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Cmac/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Cmac/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Cmac/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Cmac/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.jpg[/IMG]

Okay so it would seem I'm a total idiot in the kitchen and on the computer. Great... But seriously, check out Dreamfarm | innovative homewares and I'll see if I can learn how to use a computer in the meantime...
Old 03-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
Head Chef

Interesting stuff...I like the ergonomic handle on that potato masher as well.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Karen, have you seen the mango pitter? Your avocado tool made me think of it.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
Head Chef

GB, as you might expect, I already have one of those! It works pretty well unless the mango is very ripe, then it just mushes it. Mangoes are just starting to come into season right now, and I have been peeling and slicing LOTS of mangoes lately. Our goats are crazy about the peelings, and it's fun to feed them one by one. The apple corer that is also on that page is a great invention as well - I use it all the time. (Yes, storing all of these things is a challenge.)
Old 03-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Oh good I am glad you already have one. I figured you probably did, but did not want you to be without in case you had never seen them. I am jealous of the great mangoes you must get.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

My favorite recent kitchen gadget buy has moved to the top of my favorites list. I bought a stick blender from Cuisinart. It is useful for making smooth vegetable soups right in the pan, it is easier to clean than a regular blender. It has a balloon whisk attachment that seems flimsy. I have not used the chopper attachment bowl. For $50 it was an extravigant gift to myself.

My kids like smoothies made with 6 ice cubes, a large banana, some skim milk, and heaping tablespoon of Quik chocolate mix. Mixing in a cleaned out #10 can keeps splashing smoothie contained.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
I am a sucker for new kitchen gadgets, and the last time I visited the US (last week), I visited Ross's and perused the racks of kitchen stuff. I found this. http://fantes.com/images/122057avocado.jpg
It takes the pit out of the avocado and then slices it - all you have to do is cut it in half. Yippee! I use alot of avocados and this is the best thing I have found lately......highly recommended. Only $7.99!

Weird looking thing.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
Head Chef

Yes, it is a weird-looking item - I guess I should have posted the picture and asked people if they could guess what it is. It sure does work, though. That little green plastic stem part is sharp, and lifts the seed right out of the avocado.

ThomasCooks - I have a similar item that is/was made by Toastmaster. It also has a whisk and two little beaters that I've never needed to use. I do use the chopping attachment quite alot because it easily chops small amounts of onion, garlic, herbs, etc. I think your Cuisinart version looks like it is sturdier and better made, though.