Favorite new kitchen gadget - avacado slicer and pitter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MexicoKaren

Head Chef
I am a sucker for new kitchen gadgets, and the last time I visited the US (last week), I visited Ross's and perused the racks of kitchen stuff. I found this. http://fantes.com/images/122057avocado.jpg
It takes the pit out of the avocado and then slices it - all you have to do is cut it in half. Yippee! I use alot of avocados and this is the best thing I have found lately......highly recommended. Only $7.99!

I love gadgets too! This is my new favourite. It's called smood and is a potato masher from an Australian design company and it's absolutely amazing. I can't figure out how to up load the image but this is the website... Dreamfarm | innovative homewares
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
moz-screenshot-3.jpg
moz-screenshot-4.jpg

moz-screenshot-6.jpg
scizza.jpg

Okay so it would seem I'm a total idiot in the kitchen and on the computer. Great... But seriously, check out Dreamfarm | innovative homewares and I'll see if I can learn how to use a computer in the meantime...

Last edited by a moderator:
GB, as you might expect, I already have one of those! It works pretty well unless the mango is very ripe, then it just mushes it. Mangoes are just starting to come into season right now, and I have been peeling and slicing LOTS of mangoes lately. Our goats are crazy about the peelings, and it's fun to feed them one by one. The apple corer that is also on that page is a great invention as well - I use it all the time. (Yes, storing all of these things is a challenge.)

Oh good I am glad you already have one. I figured you probably did, but did not want you to be without in case you had never seen them. I am jealous of the great mangoes you must get.

My favorite recent kitchen gadget buy has moved to the top of my favorites list. I bought a stick blender from Cuisinart. It is useful for making smooth vegetable soups right in the pan, it is easier to clean than a regular blender. It has a balloon whisk attachment that seems flimsy. I have not used the chopper attachment bowl. For $50 it was an extravigant gift to myself.

My kids like smoothies made with 6 ice cubes, a large banana, some skim milk, and heaping tablespoon of Quik chocolate mix. Mixing in a cleaned out #10 can keeps splashing smoothie contained.

I am a sucker for new kitchen gadgets, and the last time I visited the US (last week), I visited Ross's and perused the racks of kitchen stuff. I found this. http://fantes.com/images/122057avocado.jpg
It takes the pit out of the avocado and then slices it - all you have to do is cut it in half. Yippee! I use alot of avocados and this is the best thing I have found lately......highly recommended. Only $7.99!

Weird looking thing.

Yes, it is a weird-looking item - I guess I should have posted the picture and asked people if they could guess what it is. It sure does work, though. That little green plastic stem part is sharp, and lifts the seed right out of the avocado.

ThomasCooks - I have a similar item that is/was made by Toastmaster. It also has a whisk and two little beaters that I've never needed to use. I do use the chopping attachment quite alot because it easily chops small amounts of onion, garlic, herbs, etc. I think your Cuisinart version looks like it is sturdier and better made, though.

I'm totally not up with all this hyperlink business but I can work an attachment. Woo hoo! Sorry, this is the potato masher. Pretty funky looking huh?

Attachments

• image025.jpg
    image025.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 75
My all time favorite, at least so far, is my Pampered Chef garlic press. (I tried to post a URL again but I guess I still need a few more posts to be able to do that). It saves me so much time since I eat garlic in pretty much everything. When a recipe calls for 2 cloves, I put in 4 or 5. My garlic plants have started sprouting in my herb garden and I am especially excited for fresh garlic!

B'sgirl, I agree on the garlic press ... and that one in particular has a larger hopper than most, so elephant or multiple cloves are a breeze. Funny thought ... what I consider my favorite tools aren't necessarily the ones that get the most use. I can't remember a day when the kitchen shears or microplane weren't dirty, so those get the usage prize. Favorites come and go ... tough call, but today I really enjoyed my julienne peeler.

Karen, have you seen the mango pitter? Your avocado tool made me think of it.
My mum would have loved this a few weeks ago when she decided to use the green mangoes that fell off my tree in a storm. There was some enormous amount of green mangoes she needed in this green mango chutney recipe and it was taking her ages to prep the flesh!! Maybe that can be her mother's day present so she will be ready for next year's green crop!!!:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom