"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I use one of these. Clip it onto the edge of the pan and slide the thermometer through one of the handles.
Been there, done that. Love your sig by the way.

Here's mine:

Never was a fan of nor understood the dishwasher concept. Kinda redundant having to wash the dishes before you put them in the dish ... washer. But I heard they recently resolved this problem with the newer models.

Life is an incessant series of problems... all difficult, with brutally limited choices - and a time limit. -Chapel the Evergreen (Trigun)
Secundinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

I see you're a Craftsman fan.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #23
Mr. Greenjeans

I would have to say that the meat grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid is prolly my favorite.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I use one of these. Clip it onto the edge of the pan and slide the thermometer through one of the handles.
I'll give that a try. I even understand it ;)
Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Quote:
I see you're a Craftsman fan.
Just a little. Plus, plastic handles don't get all grimey, soggy or peel with time the way the foam handled BBQ tools do. My fiancees family has a set like that and I can't stand how the handles are full of grease and who know's what else. They think I'm crazy cause I use a regular spatula and a fork when I cook on the grill.

And another favorite kitchen item, while I'm at it.

Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy rice steamer. Purchased the 10 cup model because it was cheaper than the 5 cup model and had free shipping. Takes up a bit of real estate on the counter, but we usually put it aside after we're done with it. (Picture credits to a Zojirushi ad.)

Life is an incessant series of problems... all difficult, with brutally limited choices - and a time limit. -Chapel the Evergreen (Trigun)
Secundinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:06 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Favorite tools have to be my Pyrex measuring cups. The only thin I use every single day. Oh, and my Bunn coffeemaker.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:49 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
fav Lodge 8" Skillet & SK 10" Skillet
Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 AM   #28
Senior Cook

So my mother had an old three prong fork that was built like a knife in that the shank of the fork went all the way down through the wooden handle. She used it for all kinds of things when cooking. In my early 20s, I found a Case fork that had the same design so I bought her one, then she bought me one for a Christmas. Now if the house was on fire, those forks are the two things I would risk my life to save. I also use them all the time.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

I love collecting mini kitchen gadgets, my partner thinks its ridiculous, but they have been proven handy ALL the time in the kitchen.
I have a mini box grater that's perfect for my ginger and garlic that I love "till death do us part"
My mini muffin trays, I'm sick of cooking full size muffins and no one seems to finish it and then ends up chucking it out it's such a waste...but when I make mini muffin, nothing gets wasted, and there's enough to go around.
My mini whisk, mini pots and pans etc. I love them!
Old 11-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I have two. One is called a 'shark.' It is a very small took with very sharp teeth used for removing the stem end of a raw tomato. I hate it when I get a salad in a restaurant and the stem end is still in tact.

The other is a very old aluminum roasting pan with handles on three sides and a tray with stand-up handles for lifting out the contents. The third handle on the outside is for pulling the pan out of the oven if you put it in sideways. That handle does not fold down and is always in the 'grab' position. This roaster has to be at least 50 years old. And I love it. I received a SS one for a gift and never use it. My old one has a cover. And with just some hot water and soaking for about an hour, it almost rinses out clean on its own. I bought this roaster at a yard sale many moons ago. It holds a 20 lb. turkey with ease.