Flour Sack Dish Towels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyndeemc52

Assistant Cook
Does anyone know where I can buy HEAVY flour sack dish towels. My mom loves them and the last ones she found where at Tuesday Morning. They do not always have them available.

You may want to try a restaurant supply store. I haven't seen them there, but that wasn't what I was looking for. I love to cruise the aisles of that place - there are so many interesting things and some you don't need to by a dozen or more. I've found the less heavy ones at Walmart and use them a lot.

Have you tried Williams-Sonoma? I seem to recall seeing them in their catalogue.

I know they're on the pricey side, but, boy, the quality of some of their stuff is really excellent and just maybe worth spending a bit more. I have potholders, aprons, and dishtowels from them which just do NOT want to wear out!

Man do I love Flour Sack Towels!

I like the thinner ones though, as I sometimes use them to squeeze water out of things, and depend on their ability to pass water.

They are my kitchen standard!

gourmet stores like kitchen connection, kitchen kapers, le gourmet chef, sur la table etc all sell them. they are the best ktichen towels.

You can find them through some sewing supply sites online. They are the plain ones that if you want you can decorate. Let me know if anyone wants the links to a few of these sites.

Ayrton said:
Have you tried Williams-Sonoma? I seem to recall seeing them in their catalogue.

I know they're on the pricey side, but, boy, the quality of some of their stuff is really excellent and just maybe worth spending a bit more. I have potholders, aprons, and dishtowels from them which just do NOT want to wear out!

I thought I was sort of weird for preferring WS potholders. But they really do last -- and wash well.

Towels

I'm not in the market to buy Flour Sack Towels...
I have 10 (not Flour Sack) and they are water proof!

I posted ths question a while back and never got satisfactroey response.

Is there some way to make them soft and asorbant?

I have tried vinegar, bleach and different soaps. Never use fabric softner on them.
No luck1

TIA,
Charlie

Probably not--they are probably a blend and not cotton or linen. They just won't absorb much. Sorry. That happens to some bath towels--it is more like a squeegee to get the water off your body than a towel!

Nicholas Mosher said:
Man do I love Flour Sack Towels!

I like the thinner ones though, as I sometimes use them to squeeze water out of things, and depend on their ability to pass water.

They are my kitchen standard!

I'm with Nick on the thinner side. I got my first set from WS, but find them in the local Safeway as well. They just dry out so quickly.

Posh Chicago has some great 100% cotton, thick flour sack cloths. I love both the thick and the "generic" thin ones, they each have their uses in the kitchen. I confess, after years of adherence to sanitation codes for commercial kitchens, I air-dry almost everything, but cover with a fresh FS towel. When we combined households, I banned all but woven towels from the kitchen. OK, I'm picky,is that bad??? Fuzz on dishes is not appetizing....
Amen on the fabric softner. I never use it for towels, it leaves an oily residue on the fabric. Most powdered detergents do too since they have a fatty base. P.O.S.H. Chicago | Silverware, Restaurant China, Flea Market Finds

Back
Top Bottom