Foil- shiny side up or down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aluminum foil? - shiny side up or down ???

• Shiny side always up.

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Shiny side always down.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I dont pay attention.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I decide based on the dish/application.

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters
When I cover food for either the fridge or the oven, usually, it's with the shiny side up. Also, when I cover a meat rack. I then poke holes in the foil to let the fat run to the bottom of the pan.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying this thread. It's a little like a toilet paper debate...over the roll or under the roll?

Keep the comments coming. I didn't have any idea there could be so many points of view on an "either or or" subject. You folks rock!:LOL::LOL:

Yes, Corey, I've tried it and like it quite a lot. It's great when a dish that's toppe with cheese has to be covered with foil. I also use it to line some of my glass baking dishes when I'm cooking something especially "sticky." It's really slippery stuff.

It's a little pricey, but I don't use often enough to worry about the cost.

When you buy a foiled product at the store like a pot pie, it is shiny on the inside to include a pie crust and dull on the bottom. When you get a baked potato at a restaurant, it is shiny to the inside and dull outside.

Foil Gift Wrap is always shiny side out!!! Unless you are mailing, then it's plain paper side out!!!

Glue your craft macaroni to the shiny side and glue the dull side to a paper plate.

Designer print is on the outside of the dull side.

Of course alum foil is a condenser which sort of answers the question.

Katie E said:
Yes, Corey, I've tried it and like it quite a lot. It's great when a dish that's toppe with cheese has to be covered with foil. I also use it to line some of my glass baking dishes when I'm cooking something especially "sticky." It's really slippery stuff.

It's a little pricey, but I don't use often enough to worry about the cost.

I forgot that you can acheive that same function with regular foil and a no-stick cooking spray.:chef:

I've always used shiny side up. Thats how my mom did it, so I continued to do the same.

So here I am hoping to get a definitive answer form the experts and (so far) all I have it a 3 way tie between anything other than who cares? :LOL:
I usually just try to think about what I am doing and how it might effect it. Some times I dont even pay att.
Either way, thanks everyone for contributing, I'll be keeping an eye out for more theories. I think the difference is very negligible. Does anyone have any wrong side of the foil horror stories?

In my mind, the 3-way tie is a sure indicator that it really doesn't matter which side of th foil is up.

On a related issue, always remember, "Green side up!"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom