Foil- shiny side up or down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aluminum foil? - shiny side up or down ???

• Shiny side always up.

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Shiny side always down.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I dont pay attention.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I decide based on the dish/application.

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

hookied_up

Assistant Cook
I am trying to settle this once and for all. Is there a proper technique for different application, or is there a hard and fast rule? I usually try to think about what I am doing. Am I trying to reflect the heat with the shiny side to hold it in with the food, but in some situations you might want some to escape( not like they really just become absorbed. I checked yahoo, wiki, ect, ect. I have read that the 2 different sides it is really just a by-product of the way it is manufactured. I have also read arguements in favor of both ways. Although I dont think making this mistake has ever ruined a meal it would be nice to know I am doing things the best/proper way. I fugure if there is an answer to find it can be found here.

Never paid much attention to this. I use it however it comes off the roll and haven't seen any appreciable difference in which way it was used. In my camp, it's whatever floats your boat but I'll be willing to bet there will be plenty of opinions.:)

I use the non stick foil and it tells which side up or down - but I don't remember which. On the other I use the shiny side out - don't know why unless it unrolls that way.

shiney side Always towards the food.
not only does it reflect more heat towards the food and keep it warmer longer, it`s also smoother on a microscale and makes it easier to remove.

I can't remember the name of the show on The Food Network but the guy that hosts it Alvin Brown (?), same guy that does Iron Chef did an experiment with it once. He concluded that it makes no difference which side is up/down. Now, if anyone can think of the name of that show you'll win the prize because it's driving me insane :huh:

I makes no difference. Much more important is the tightness of the seal the foil makes with the container/pan.

Great Question hookied_up!!

I don't have a clue, nor really an opinion to offer! Out of habit I suppose we always do the "shiny part out" However I have often times goofed (broken tradtional habit) and turned shiny part in with no ill effects to the food being covered. Does anyone know why it is manufactured this way? Is it by design, or just a natural occurance in the manufacturing process??

it is made that way yes, it`s as a result of 2 sheets being rolled together at the same time to avoid ripping.
the Shiny side is the bit that the rollers touch the Dull side is where the 2 sheets are together.

When the foil is rolled thin, it's rolled doubled over so it won't break when being rolled. As a result, the two surfaces that face each other are duller while the two outer surfaces become are shiny. I heard on the FoodTV show that explained the process, that the side that faces the food does not matter.

RedBedHead said:
I can't remember the name of the show on The Food Network but the guy that hosts it Alvin Brown (?), same guy that does Iron Chef did an experiment with it once. He concluded that it makes no difference which side is up/down. Now, if anyone can think of the name of that show you'll win the prize because it's driving me insane :huh:

Good Eats?

Just like cookware/bakeware, it does make a difference. I have two cookie sheets, one dark and one light. If I need to use both for the same cookie recipe, I have to line them with foil; shiny side down with the cookies baking on the dull side. (I use thin foil for this.)

When baking a casserole like lasagna, I cover it with the shiny side down. If you haven't noticed, the ingredients and heat will deteriorate the dull side.

When baking a pie, I line the pie pan with foil shiny side up to give a flakier crust. For cakes, dull side up.

For lining a roasting pan, it's shiny side down; same reason as for casseroles.

I am not wild about using foil but in this area metal bakeware is subject to rusting. I have invested in as much glass bakeware as possible.

When taking frozen food camping, it is left in it's original packages or ziplocs, wrapped in butcher paper, and wrapped in alum foil, shiny side out. And if anyone opens that ice chest, they've had it!!! :LOL:

Last edited:
if as some claim it doesn`t make any difference, then perhaps they could explain why Hypothermia blankets are Silvered on the Inside?

Cooking in an oven is conduction/convection, NOT radiation. If it were radiation, then the shiny side would relect(or refract)the radiation. The foil absorbs the heat either way.

It is, as stated, a result of the manufactering process, and makes no difference.

I always wear my foil hats shiny side out though, to stop govornment waves from controling me
robot.gif

RedBedHead said:
I can't remember the name of the show on The Food Network but the guy that hosts it Alvin Brown (?), same guy that does Iron Chef did an experiment with it once.

That would be ALTON Brown. Alvin is a singing chipmunk with A.D.D. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom