"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-15-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Food mill vs Potato Ricer

Is there an essential difference in the result you can produce with a Potato ricer and a food mill?

Old 10-15-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

With a food mill you can have different sized inserts so the holes can go from big to very small. With a potato rices I do not think you have that option.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #3
Senior Cook

a potato ricer is a potato ricer, a food mill on the other hand is a multi tasker. if you are asking this because you want to know the results when you run potatoes through them, the answer is it doesn't matter, you will get the same results (for the most part) If you are asking this because you want to know what to go buy, then get the food mill for sure, you will be much happier.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jimmy
a potato ricer is a potato ricer, a food mill on the other hand is a multi tasker. if you are asking this because you want to know the results when you run potatoes through them, the answer is it doesn't matter, you will get the same results (for the most part) If you are asking this because you want to know what to go buy, then get the food mill for sure, you will be much happier.
ditto

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

The food mill is a lot more versatile than the ricer. With different inserts you can do a lot more than rice potatoes.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
With a food mill you can have different sized inserts so the holes can go from big to very small. With a potato rices I do not think you have that option.
Interesting. My food ricer has three different "bottoms" I can insert depending on how fine or coarse I want my food to be. In addition to ricing potatoes, I use my ricer to press cooked spinach dry and dice eggs for egg salad.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
A food mill is used to also puree and strain at the same time, and imo, one of the most underutillized tools in a pro kitchen.

Ricers just have the different sized dyes, like a playdoh fun factory.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Interesting. My food ricer has three different "bottoms" I can insert depending on how fine or coarse I want my food to be. In addition to ricing potatoes, I use my ricer to press cooked spinach dry and dice eggs for egg salad.
I stand corrected. Thanks for teaching me that Katie!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I use my food mill all the time! I primarily use it when I want to puree something without introducing a lot of air like a food processor or blender does. It's also much gentler on food than say an electric hand-mixer when making mashed potatoes. I also find a food mill forces less things through the holes. A ricer tends to "blow-out" more things when you apply pressure. In a food mill they lay over the holes, then you run it in reverse a revolution or two to clean them off. I don't know a single friend or family member who even knows what one is... (well a couple do now that I've shown them).
Old 10-15-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
Master Chef

A ricer is a food press/extruder with various sized plates - and a food mill is a fancy grater with various sized grating plates.

From my experience with both - they are mutually exclusive for their intended purposes ... although you are more likely to rice potatoes with a food mill than puree/seed/skin tomatoes with a ricer.