"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I have always used scales for cooking but recently started using cup measures. I was a bit flummoxed when confronted with measuring out "1 cup of butter". How do you measure cups in something that is neither dry (like flour and sugar), nor liquid? I suppose you have to wait for the butter to soften enough to scoop into the cup? Anyway, I thought most US recipes called for "sticks" of butter rather than cups?

All I can say is, it was messy! (But I managed).

Oh and yes, the tare feature is marvellously useful.
There are conversions for everything online! 1 cup of butter is 8 ounces, which is 2 sticks. I like weighing so that I don't have to mash things into a cup and then scrape them out and clean them.

I convert all of my recipes to weight as I use them. The trouble with older American recipes is that they are done by volume and techniques for measuring by volume have changed, what used to be scoop and level is now fluff and gently scoop into the cup and level. Weight is so much more accurate!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
Head Chef

Thanks Andy and Bakechef! (I think you are both saying the same thing?) (I'm used to grams so not entirely sure!)

And yes, butter is definitely easier to measure by weight!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Thanks Andy and Bakechef! (I think you are both saying the same thing?) (I'm used to grams so not entirely sure!)

And yes, butter is definitely easier to measure by weight!
I like grams, even more accurate! Most scales do both, so I'm covered either way!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I like grams, even more accurate! Most scales do both, so I'm covered either way!
We are as one on this subject bakechef!

But I'm still glad I got a set of cup measures - apart from butter, it means I can easily do US recipes without having to convert everything first.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Katy we are both saying the same thing. I agree grams are the best for weights but since recipes often come with volume measures (as you've disccovered), they're good to know.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Katy we are both saying the same thing. I agree grams are the best for weights but since recipes often come with volume measures (as you've disccovered), they're good to know.
I thought so Andy - but when it comes to numbers I can be a bit "dyslexic"! (You'd never think I spent the last 20 years using spreadsheets and analysing sales and service levels!)

But yes, I am feeling rather smug about my set of cup measures - nobody else I know has any! (Mind you, that is probably because nobody else I know enjoys cooking...)
Old 10-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
1 cup of butter weighs ~227 grams.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
You looked that up, right? Otherwise you are confusing weight and volume.
Have I ever lied to you before?

If you try to Google it, you're going to find out that 2 ounces of macaroni yields 1 cup of cooked, but not how much dry. Put a 1/2 cup measure on your scale, tare it, then fill it with some pasta shape that fits in a measuring cup. Farfalle works well. So does Orecchiette.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #29
Head Chef

My small cheapo made in China scale can measure down to 6 -7 grams quite accurately. I only wish it would project the lcd output beyond itself, somehow. I end up having peeking under the dish to read the readout window, most every time.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Have I ever lied to you before?

If you try to Google it, you're going to find out that 2 ounces of macaroni yields 1 cup of cooked, but not how much dry. Put a 1/2 cup measure on your scale, tare it, then fill it with some pasta shape that fits in a measuring cup. Farfalle works well. So does Orecchiette.
Oh dear, I "measure" my spaghetti by eye although I do have little gauge with three holes in it representing I, 2 or 3 portions but I don't bother with it.

Moving on to where you talk about baking with cups. I cook in ounces so the conversion isn't too much of a hassle but lately when baking I have used a cup measure to "fluff up" and scoop, then level flour to put on the scales. I never get the same measurement twice which I find very confusing.

Tags
food