"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #11
Head Chef
silentmeow, not every fish is good for steaming. I'd never try mackerel, tuna or bream, for example. But white fish, salmon and trout are good and don't smell to my way of thinking. Here's a good way to start for a meal for two:

Mix together three parts olive or sesame oil to one part soy sauce, one part white vermouth or white wine and a dash of balsamic vinegar or orange juice. Finely slice a spring onion or two. Put a pair of gutted and cleaned trout or sea bass or a couple of white fish steaks or fillets (depending on what you can find in the shop or market and how deep your purse or pocket is) on a suitable plate to fit the fish and the steamer. Liberally brush the fish inside with your sauce then pour the rest over the top of the fish. Sprinkle with the chopped spring onion and steam till cooked. The timing will depend on the type of fish and how big it is - anything from ten minutes or so upwards once steaming away.

Snoop Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:11 AM   #12
Head Chef
I have the microwave steamer. Guess what? It comes with instructions. It is so durable. I believe that it is indestructible! It will to fit in a small microwave and is probably as big around as a dinner plate.
It has so many other uses. When I microwave meats, I leave the insert in and the top off and the juices drip through and sometimes there is rice or veggies in the bottom. yum!
I had one of those $1 styrofoam tortilla steamers. They work really good but storeage is a problem. They are to flemsy to stack and have to have their very own space. I threw mine away and when I need or want one, I will just buy one and consider it a disposable product.
There are a million ways to make a temporary steamer and a double boiler for that matter. (Sometimes I am cooking somewhere besides home and I am not going to cart a bunch of stuff to the cabin....besides I'd rather be taking an extra pair of shoes!....you can only put so much stuff in a vehicle)

StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote