"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #31
Head Chef

[QUOTE=Kayelle;1367647
The self storage businesses to store your junk for a hefty monthly rental fee are everywhere. I think people are daft to have one and store mostly worthless "stuff", or anything short of priceless antiques.[/QUOTE]

You mean I won't find any priceless antiques when I win at a storage shed that's being auctioned off ? Or maybe a lot of cocaine? Oh, poo.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

1/3 of my square footage is in my finished basement. Basements are not all that common here, so we got lucky. Rob has a den of nerdy random stuff, a huge closet full of random stuff that he doesn't use and a guest bedroom. My freezer and network server equipment live under the stairs.

My food saver is black, so is my fridge, so it sits on top of the fridge and almost disappears. Nice to have it handy for a quick seal.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #33
Master Chef

Nope, no basements here. My aunt and uncle live up in Northern CA and they have one, though. Other than that I don't think I've ever seen a basement in CA. I love watching HGTV and seeing the transformation of basements into useable living space. I'd love to have one!

Back to food savers....I keep mine in a lower cupboard next to the fridge. I use it a lot and have room to keep it on the countertops, but I don't like clutter and would rather just pull it out as I need it.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:52 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Yup. My basement houses my former grow light gardens (now Costco overflow storage) and my woodworking equipment, along with a whole bunch of useless crap.
Dawg, you do woodworking? My son-in-law is really into that, he carves plaques for fire and police departments. I'd be really interested in hearing about what you do, if you wouldn't mind sharing in another thread.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

My food saver now sits in Spikes house. He uses it more than I ever did. He also has my electric slicer. He would also love to have my KA mixer, but that is staying put for now.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #36
Head Chef

I solved the counter space issue by putting my FoodSaver on a shelf above the counter and under the cabinets. I use it enough that's it's a pain to haul it out every time but not enough for it to take up counter space. It's a shallow shelf near the wall and most of the time I don't even have to take it down to use it. Still have the counter space and the FS is always there.

The paper towel method works well but I find myself freezing first before sealing if the product is to be frozen.

No basement or attic here. When I built this place I was poor (Maybe not poor but pushing it to the limit and I still am) and slab on grade was the way to go. At times I wish I had a basement but at other times I'm glad I don't because I'd just store stuff I really don't need. I've got too much junk as it is. But as we all know it's our junk and we simply can't part with it. Not to mention that as soon as we get rid of it we'll find a use for it.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Dawg, you do woodworking? My son-in-law is really into that, he carves plaques for fire and police departments. I'd be really interested in hearing about what you do, if you wouldn't mind sharing in another thread.

It's not threadworthy, Cheryl, mostly stuff from barnboard, and I haven't built anything in a while. I need to get back into it, I have some great equipment and tools.

My Foodsaver lives on my counter. The newer models take up less space.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #38
Executive Chef

I should have bought the Food Saver that was $49.99 a couple months ago at Costco.

Tags
food