FoodSaver at Costco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Basements aren't as necessary in some parts of California (at least in the coastal and southern parts) because there's very little prolonged freeze there like there is in a lot of the rest of the country, esp. in the east and north areas. Californians also don't have to bury water pipes as deep either.

All generalizations, folks, but that's the main reason for no basements in CA. And for the storage locker businesses. :ohmy:

I don't understand what freezing weather has to do with having a basement. They're primarily for storage, or so I thought.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I don't understand what freezing weather has to do with having a basement. They're primarily for storage, or so I thought.

I'm sure you did :)

Yes, they're great for storage. But there is/was another reason for them.

"there are no basements because they are used to keep pipes 'indoors' so they dont freeze in the winter. Unlike the northeast and midwest, California doesnt have that issue. Same reason Florida doesnt have them. They basically dont need them."

[Florida and other places may not build basements because of the water table.]

How come California homes have no basement? (Sacramento, Saratoga: houses, earthquakes) - (CA) - City-Data Forum

"basements in the United States have largely been a Midwestern or Eastern concept, and for good reason. Where it freezes in the winter, the land contracts and expands and will literally heave the foundation of a house up. Builders in those areas have to take the foundation well below the 4-foot frost line level to anchor it. Basements there are cheap to construct, so builders dig just a few feet deeper and create a full basement."

Board Question #53883 | The 100 Hour Board

Those are just a few of the sites that explain why basements and why no basements.

I would love having a basement. :)

Basements are fantastic! It's where our furnaces and water heaters reside. It's also another level that we can finish with wallboard and carpeting for a family room/mancave/children's play area.

Most important of all, it's where we accumulate piles and stacks of useless old crap that we should have tossed decades ago but couldn't bare to part with. It's a posthumous gift to our children who will toss it all into a dumpster without a glance or thought after we're gone.

Basements are fantastic! It's where our furnaces and water heaters reside. It's also another level that we can finish with wallboard and carpeting for a family room/mancave/children's play area.

Most important of all, it's where we accumulate piles and stacks of useless old crap that we should have tossed decades ago but couldn't bare to part with. It's a posthumous gift to our children who will toss it all into a dumpster without a glance or thought after we're gone.

Yup. My basement houses my former grow light gardens (now Costco overflow storage) and my woodworking equipment, along with a whole bunch of useless crap.

Danes have recently started having yard/rummage sales. One of my sisters friends summed it up like this, "Now we all swap attics."

Because we generally have good weather and no basements, everything that needs to be stored goes in the garage. There are a gazillion garages here without cars, just "basement" junk. Then again we never have to get ice and snow off of our outdoor cars to get to work.

The self storage businesses to store your junk for a hefty monthly rental fee are everywhere. I think people are daft to have one and store mostly worthless "stuff", or anything short of priceless antiques.

Kayelle;1367647 The self storage businesses to store your junk for a hefty monthly rental fee are everywhere. I think people are daft to have one and store mostly worthless "stuff" said:
You mean I won't find any priceless antiques when I win at a storage shed that's being auctioned off ? Or maybe a lot of cocaine? Oh, poo.

1/3 of my square footage is in my finished basement. Basements are not all that common here, so we got lucky. Rob has a den of nerdy random stuff, a huge closet full of random stuff that he doesn't use and a guest bedroom. My freezer and network server equipment live under the stairs.

My food saver is black, so is my fridge, so it sits on top of the fridge and almost disappears. Nice to have it handy for a quick seal.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Nope, no basements here. My aunt and uncle live up in Northern CA and they have one, though. Other than that I don't think I've ever seen a basement in CA. I love watching HGTV and seeing the transformation of basements into useable living space. I'd love to have one! :)

Back to food savers....I keep mine in a lower cupboard next to the fridge. I use it a lot and have room to keep it on the countertops, but I don't like clutter and would rather just pull it out as I need it.

Yup. My basement houses my former grow light gardens (now Costco overflow storage) and my woodworking equipment, along with a whole bunch of useless crap.

Dawg, you do woodworking? My son-in-law is really into that, he carves plaques for fire and police departments. I'd be really interested in hearing about what you do, if you wouldn't mind sharing in another thread. :)

My food saver now sits in Spikes house. He uses it more than I ever did. He also has my electric slicer. He would also love to have my KA mixer, but that is staying put for now. :angel:

I solved the counter space issue by putting my FoodSaver on a shelf above the counter and under the cabinets. I use it enough that's it's a pain to haul it out every time but not enough for it to take up counter space. It's a shallow shelf near the wall and most of the time I don't even have to take it down to use it. Still have the counter space and the FS is always there.

The paper towel method works well but I find myself freezing first before sealing if the product is to be frozen.

No basement or attic here. When I built this place I was poor (Maybe not poor but pushing it to the limit and I still am) and slab on grade was the way to go. At times I wish I had a basement but at other times I'm glad I don't because I'd just store stuff I really don't need. I've got too much junk as it is. But as we all know it's our junk and we simply can't part with it. Not to mention that as soon as we get rid of it we'll find a use for it. ;)

Dawg, you do woodworking? My son-in-law is really into that, he carves plaques for fire and police departments. I'd be really interested in hearing about what you do, if you wouldn't mind sharing in another thread. :)

:) It's not threadworthy, Cheryl, mostly stuff from barnboard, and I haven't built anything in a while. I need to get back into it, I have some great equipment and tools.

My Foodsaver lives on my counter. The newer models take up less space.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom