"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 06-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
FoodSaver at Costco

On my most recent trip to Costco I spotted this:

Seems to come with a canister. Any thoughts? Can I get it a lot cheaper in the US? My mother-in-law has a postal box in New York that it could be shipped to if it's enough cheaper. I checked Amazon.ca and Shop.ca. Similar looking ones cost more, or the same + shipping.

edit: those links don't take you to the products, just the online stores. I can't seem to make those not links.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I am not sure you will find it cheaper, or enough cheaper to be worth the hassle.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

FoodSaver at Costco

I got my V3240 model from Amazon last year for $119 and free shipping, couldn't tell if that's the model you're looking at. Also, mine's white, and no canister.

Ah, on closer inspection, yours is the 3800 model, so it would be more expensive
Old 06-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

It's difficult to compare prices for FS because they seem to have different configurations and model numbers for every outlet. You'll have to compare package contents and decide from there.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I am not sure you will find it cheaper, or enough cheaper to be worth the hassle.
Thanks. That's sort of what I figure, and, I get to bring it home right away.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Head Chef

When I had a FoodSaver (when it first came out) I did use it quite a bit, but we were growing almost all our own food then.

Why I don't get another one---cuz I just LOVE toys----is I don't have the counter space for one. My bad---- if something isn't out I just don't dig it out from under the counter etc. Maybe you will.

It would certainly keep a head of lettuce fresher, once it was vacuumed, but each time you open that bag, if you only want to use part of it, you'd have to reseal. I got around that by making the first bag much larger than needed.

For storing dry things in a jar it was great! Again, if you opened that jar and used just 1/4 cup of peanuts you'd have to reseal it. I can't remember if all that opening and resealing could be done with the same lid or a new one had to be used each time.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I think Frank Z summed it up nicely. Is it worth the hassle to save a couple of bucks?

When my old seal-a-meal died I was in Walmart and saw a FoodSaver for $119. 3400 series. What I liked about it was that it had a cutter for the rolls of plastic. And it had a wet/dry setting.

I use the cutter a lot. The wet/dry doesn't do much. Just a different amount of vacuum. You still can't seal really wet stuff.

Canisters are nice. Looking at the brochure that came with the FS. you can get a set of 3 canisters for $24.99. 3/4 Qt., 1 1/2 Qt., and 2 1/2 Qt.

2 1/2 Qt. alone is $9.99.

Bringing it home right away is the important thing to me over saving a buck or two. Not to mention if there should be something wrong returning is greatly simplified.

I love my vacuum sealer and wouldn't want to be without one for long.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
On my most recent trip to Costco I spotted this:

Seems to come with a canister. Any thoughts? Can I get it a lot cheaper in the US? My mother-in-law has a postal box in New York that it could be shipped to if it's enough cheaper. I checked Amazon.ca and Shop.ca. Similar looking ones cost more, or the same + shipping.

edit: those links don't take you to the products, just the online stores. I can't seem to make those not links.
Hmmm...might have to go to Costco in July when I bring those fresh eggs to Montreal for you. By then, I suspect you will have played with yours and you can let me know if it's worth it...my other one died, but this one looks far superior.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
I think Frank Z summed it up nicely. Is it worth the hassle to save a couple of bucks?

When my old seal-a-meal died I was in Walmart and saw a FoodSaver for $119. 3400 series. What I liked about it was that it had a cutter for the rolls of plastic. And it had a wet/dry setting.

I use the cutter a lot. The wet/dry doesn't do much. Just a different amount of vacuum. You still can't seal really wet stuff.

Canisters are nice. Looking at the brochure that came with the FS. you can get a set of 3 canisters for $24.99. 3/4 Qt., 1 1/2 Qt., and 2 1/2 Qt.

2 1/2 Qt. alone is $9.99.

Bringing it home right away is the important thing to me over saving a buck or two. Not to mention if there should be something wrong returning is greatly simplified.

I love my vacuum sealer and wouldn't want to be without one for long.
To seal really wet things like whole chickens, I fold paper towel and put it across the top of the bag between the chicken and where it seals. The paper towel does a good job of catching the juice and is easy to dispose of when you open the package in the future.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
Head Chef

Great idea, bakechef!

I got my V3420 FS about 5 yrs ago at WalMart for about $120, and use the heck out of it. If it died tomorrow, I would replace it immediately. Living alone, I use it so often to separate large packages of meat to individual servings. I love it and wouldn't be without one.

Tags
food