"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Why? Because sometimes things break because of a bad part. The manufacturing process is not perfect. It happens.

I wouldn't just toss out something I spent that kind of money on without trying to get a replacement or refund first.
I really do understand your reasoning, but at the time, I was very disappointed and angry. I simply took the thing off the counter and tossed it in the trash.

If I do buy another one, I'll register the warrenty this time and take advantage of it when the new one breaks after a few uses, if that happens again. I have a friend who has had the same one for several years and uses it all the time. He's the one who talked me into buying the one I had.
__________________

__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Frank, I suggest you relieve the vacuum before letting the frozen sausage defrost.

The bag material can get expensive when you're individually freezing stuff like breakfast sausage in portions for two people
__________________

__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I really do understand your reasoning, but at the time, I was very disappointed and angry. I simply took the thing off the counter and tossed it in the trash.

If I do buy another one, I'll register the warrenty this time and take advantage of it when the new one breaks after a few uses, if that happens again. I have a friend who has had the same one for several years and uses it all the time. He's the one who talked me into buying the one I had.
Perhaps your friends machine was manufactured before Jarden Corp took over FoodSaver.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
Half Baked
 
4meandthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 2,018
I went camping/fishing with a bunch of guys who brought one. They hooked it to a generator for power and after cleaning our fish we sealed them on the spot and placed into a seperate ice chest. The fish stayed for days that way until we got home and froze some.

I have had one for almost ten years and will break down larger cuts of meat or buy meat in qty and use it to repackage.
__________________
Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
powerplantop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,154
We bought one and really liked it. We bought my Mom one for a present. Ours lasted about two years, Moms about a year. I have no plans to buy another one.
__________________
My YouTube cooking channel
powerplantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central New York
Posts: 50
I have found that I can reduce the amount of bag required for the sealing process by placing a cutting board in front of the Food saver. By raising the food and packaging closer to the vacuum slot, you can still get a seal without quite as much bag material. It may only save an inch per bag, but bagging material running about 5 cents per inch, it can add up if you are doing a lot of sealing.
__________________
Jim
Weights of Baking Ingredients
jim262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,701
I've owned 2 FoodSavers. I got rid of mine when Reynolds EZ VAC came on the scene. Lugging it out each time was sort of a hassle compared to the hand held vac system.
The model FoodSaver I had was designed kinda dumb. The pump ran when you wanted only to seal one end of the cut roll, really annoying. It was also kinda loud.

As for the EZ-Vac bags, Debbie Meyer (green bags) took over selling bags, but she has ceased production now as well. You can still buy ZipLock vac bags tho, and the Reynolds hand held vac works with them. The Ziplocks are priced more reasonably. I think maybe ZipLock's won't be available one day either, so I'm stockpiling them.

P.S.I also used a cutting board with my FoodSaver to raise up the level of the bag to be even with where it draws out air.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim262 View Post
I have found that I can reduce the amount of bag required for the sealing process by placing a cutting board in front of the Food saver. By raising the food and packaging closer to the vacuum slot, you can still get a seal without quite as much bag material. It may only save an inch per bag, but bagging material running about 5 cents per inch, it can add up if you are doing a lot of sealing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
P.S.I also used a cutting board with my FoodSaver to raise up the level of the bag to be even with where it draws out air.

Fantastic tip, thanks!!!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #19
Sous Chef
 
Merlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 708
I have a foodsaver and it worked wonderful that one time when I wasn't too lazy to reach down into the cabinet, pull it all out and use it.
__________________
"Omit and substitute! That's how recipes should be written. Please don't ever get so hung up on published recipes that you forget that you can omit and substitute."
Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #20
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
I have a foodsaver and it worked wonderful that one time when I wasn't too lazy to reach down into the cabinet, pull it all out and use it.
Mine was noisy, garage shop loud. I'd have to get a folding step, retrieve the unit, the rolls and plastic roll cutter from a cabinet behind a kitchen fridge... and pile it all back in again afterwards.

Then there was Handi-Vac
__________________

__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.