"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Why? Because sometimes things break because of a bad part. The manufacturing process is not perfect. It happens.

I wouldn't just toss out something I spent that kind of money on without trying to get a replacement or refund first.
I really do understand your reasoning, but at the time, I was very disappointed and angry. I simply took the thing off the counter and tossed it in the trash.

If I do buy another one, I'll register the warrenty this time and take advantage of it when the new one breaks after a few uses, if that happens again. I have a friend who has had the same one for several years and uses it all the time. He's the one who talked me into buying the one I had.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Frank, I suggest you relieve the vacuum before letting the frozen sausage defrost.

The bag material can get expensive when you're individually freezing stuff like breakfast sausage in portions for two people

Old 01-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I really do understand your reasoning, but at the time, I was very disappointed and angry. I simply took the thing off the counter and tossed it in the trash.

If I do buy another one, I'll register the warrenty this time and take advantage of it when the new one breaks after a few uses, if that happens again. I have a friend who has had the same one for several years and uses it all the time. He's the one who talked me into buying the one I had.
Perhaps your friends machine was manufactured before Jarden Corp took over FoodSaver.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
Half Baked

I went camping/fishing with a bunch of guys who brought one. They hooked it to a generator for power and after cleaning our fish we sealed them on the spot and placed into a seperate ice chest. The fish stayed for days that way until we got home and froze some.

I have had one for almost ten years and will break down larger cuts of meat or buy meat in qty and use it to repackage.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Head Chef

We bought one and really liked it. We bought my Mom one for a present. Ours lasted about two years, Moms about a year. I have no plans to buy another one.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
Cook

I have found that I can reduce the amount of bag required for the sealing process by placing a cutting board in front of the Food saver. By raising the food and packaging closer to the vacuum slot, you can still get a seal without quite as much bag material. It may only save an inch per bag, but bagging material running about 5 cents per inch, it can add up if you are doing a lot of sealing.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
Head Chef

I've owned 2 FoodSavers. I got rid of mine when Reynolds EZ VAC came on the scene. Lugging it out each time was sort of a hassle compared to the hand held vac system.
The model FoodSaver I had was designed kinda dumb. The pump ran when you wanted only to seal one end of the cut roll, really annoying. It was also kinda loud.

As for the EZ-Vac bags, Debbie Meyer (green bags) took over selling bags, but she has ceased production now as well. You can still buy ZipLock vac bags tho, and the Reynolds hand held vac works with them. The Ziplocks are priced more reasonably. I think maybe ZipLock's won't be available one day either, so I'm stockpiling them.

P.S.I also used a cutting board with my FoodSaver to raise up the level of the bag to be even with where it draws out air.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim262 View Post
I have found that I can reduce the amount of bag required for the sealing process by placing a cutting board in front of the Food saver. By raising the food and packaging closer to the vacuum slot, you can still get a seal without quite as much bag material. It may only save an inch per bag, but bagging material running about 5 cents per inch, it can add up if you are doing a lot of sealing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
P.S.I also used a cutting board with my FoodSaver to raise up the level of the bag to be even with where it draws out air.

Fantastic tip, thanks!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #19
Sous Chef

I have a foodsaver and it worked wonderful that one time when I wasn't too lazy to reach down into the cabinet, pull it all out and use it.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
I have a foodsaver and it worked wonderful that one time when I wasn't too lazy to reach down into the cabinet, pull it all out and use it.
Mine was noisy, garage shop loud. I'd have to get a folding step, retrieve the unit, the rolls and plastic roll cutter from a cabinet behind a kitchen fridge... and pile it all back in again afterwards.

Then there was Handi-Vac

Tags
food