"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-14-2005, 01:05 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I have found some waffle irons on the German Amazon site.

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/sea...566292-9432507

I have ordered from the English Amazon several times without problem. They don't any waffle irons.

Pam

Old 01-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
Cook

You are wonderful! I am only sorrow because I have few time to read everyday this forum... I hope next I could be more free.

I must repeat myself: Thank you!!

I have found something in the site one of you reported. I have also found a shop in Rome for the food but... they don't have enough.

About Italian recipes, I will be glad to tell all that I know! I will try writing a language “something like English”.

About Pizza.
I am very demanding about pizza! There two kinds of pizza but the real pizza is of round form, made into the wooden oven. Margherita in the best and the former recipe (it was made in Naples for our Queen many years ago of course). Margherita is made of fresh tomato (pachino), fresh basil, oil of olive, salt, buffalo mozzarella. The pasta must not be thin because the real pizza is soft. (in Rome they use a very thin pasta...)
I suggest you to eat in Naples even if in Rome there is some "pizzeria" which made the real recipe.
Beside the pizza there is the "Focaccia" even if it is often called Pizza too.
It is squared and made in electrical oven. It is also called "Pizza al taglio" or "pizza al metro" that means (it's a joke) you could buy one metre or one kilometre!
We use to make pizza at home but I prefer to eat pizza at a real pizzeria!

Bruschetta is very easy to make.
Choose a kind of Italian bread. Put the slices in oven (wooden could be better). When they are broiled but soft inside, you can put garlic, oil of olive, and salt. You can add also pachino tomato if you like.
About garlic. I know in Usa they like garlic a lot but in Italy we use it less (I mean the quantity) because most people don't like the "effect" for the smell inside the mounth.
It is very strange how food cultures make differences in the way of thinking!

Next time I will post something about Limoncello and Pollo alla Cacciatora.

Maybe you know it but in Italy there are several way of cooking. It depends by the regions. The best are: Emilia Romagna Do you know Tortellini, Prosciutto, Mortadella?), Puglia (Orecchiette, Mozzarella), Sicily (sweets, eggplant, fish), Toscana (Caciucco, ribollita), Campania (bab*, limoncello, pizza, sugo). Ather regions have some ricepe or ingredient. Calabria is famous for the very hot pepper!

One big hello for everyone!

Annamaria.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

annamaria, thank you so much for responding! i am looking forward to all of your posts and recipes. i was raised with many italian americans, whose ancestry is mostly from the south of italy (is it true about calabria? everyone is testadura?) lol. my sicilian friends will love that i remebered that. :oops: i hope you are not from calabria, except that some of the world's most beautiful women are from there.
i hope someday to see rome, naples, milan, amalfi, puglia, campania, calabria, and sicily.
anyway, i am happy you are coming back, and eagerly await your posts...
ps.- i would like to know more about panchino/tomatoes. do you have a basic recipe?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:43 AM   #14
Cook

I am sorry to disappoint you but calabresi women are little, brown and they have moustache! I am kidding, of course, as I am a pure… Calabrese! I live in Rome but I was born in Calabria and love “peperoncino” (hot pepper spice). I should use it also into the milk if I were not allergic to the milk.
It’s true they told Calabresi are “capatosta” (headstrong) but I don’t know if it is a real compliment!
I am enough capatosta (for important things) but I don’t believe we are all the same. That is to say: every man in Oklahoma is like Brad Pitt? If it were so…call me! As he loves Italy… 8)

About pachino. It is a kind of tomatoes. They are little red balls like the cherries. Their name is from a little town of Sicily: Pachino. They are use for Pizza but also for the sugo.
In Calabria we call it “iettatella”.
Into a pan you put some garlic with oil of olive (one spoon for people). When it is roasted (not burn!) you put away the garlic and put the pachino into the pan with much basil and some salt.
The tomatoes have not to be cooked for a long time. Just few minutes (about 10 minutes).
I suggest you to put the fresh basil at the end so the smell is better.
You can use the kind of pasta you prefer. It should be better spaghetti or tortiglioni.
If you like you can add parmigiano.
It is very easy to make it and it is very used during summer season.

I wish you to visit Italy. It is a beautiful country. I suggest you to visit also other regions like Umbria, for exaple, there is much to see!
Also Lago di Como is beautiful! The famous Brad and his friend George know it very well as they have (one of) their house(s) on the lake.

Say hello to Usa! I miss my cheesecake slice!

Annamaria.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:54 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Hello Annamaria.

Your cooking tips are great. Thank you.

I have been to Italy, but it now many years ago. have never been to Rome.

We have visited Venice a few times, Florence, Verona and the Northern part near Austria. You have a beautiful country.

I hope to return one day. Looking forward to your next recipes.

Pam
Old 01-18-2005, 11:00 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamaria
Next time I will post something about Limoncello and Pollo alla Cacciatora.
yes, please!
Old 01-20-2005, 05:32 AM   #17
Cook

I posted the limoncello recipe on the section of drink!

For Pam. Rome is beautiful even if it is beautiful for tourists, above all!
Living in Rome means traffic, smog, strikes, long distances and so on. :(
I think no romans look at Colosseo like a tourist can do.
If you come to Rome I suggest you to go also to little towns around the city. There are beautiful places. For exaple, There is one old town called Civita di Bagnoregio which is very interesting to visit. It is on a mountain but no cars can go inside the town. There is a bridge on which you can only walk that link the town with a car parking. The town is silent and has a wonderful view! You can visit also Castelgandolfo (pope's summer residence) and the lake. There is a good wine!

Annamaria.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:13 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Thank you Annamaria.

We are saving Rome for when the kids are all out of the house. I've tried to go to Italy on vacation several times. It would be great to show the children. But...it is out of our budget. When it is for the two of us again it will be affordable.

I will some day make it to Rome!! Art is one of my passions, along with cooking. For Art Italy is the place to be!

Pam
Old 01-23-2005, 06:41 AM   #19
Cook

For Pam: when you want to come to Italy let me know it. I don't know hotels and price but I can inform. The accomodation should be according to the needs. I think if you want to save some money the ideal should be to stay out of Rome. There are the trains by which you can reach the centre within 20 min. or the metro. If you want to visit Rome (I mean the historical centre of the city) you should stay one week.

Let's speak later!

Annamaria.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:34 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Annamaria, thank you for the recipe and for the advice.

We won't be coming to Italy this year. My mother-in-law wants to treat us to a vacation somewhere together (10 people including sister-in-law and family)

She wants to revisit places she has been with my father-in-law. It will be either Portugal, Bali or Turkey. Bali might be out of the question because of the terrorist attacks, but we shall see.

Do you go on holiday often?

Pam