From Italy - need US site to order measuring cups, etc. from

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Travelling, Embassy and... gravy!

Pam Leavy said:
Annamaria, thank you for the recipe and for the advice.

We won't be coming to Italy this year. My mother-in-law wants to treat us to a vacation somewhere together (10 people including sister-in-law and family)

She wants to revisit places she has been with my father-in-law. It will be either Portugal, Bali or Turkey. Bali might be out of the question because of the terrorist attacks, but we shall see.

Do you go on holiday often?

Pam

No, I don't. It's because I have two little children. They eat only in my way of cooking. We were in China and it was a tragedy! They ate only Mc Donald's and ice cream. On the contrary, I prefer to know the countries so I have decided that, sometimes, I will take my spaces! For music, above all! :)
I was in Usa alone. Travelling alone means that you can do whatever you want! I loved little towns! Salem, Cape Ann. I adore the sea!
I think my next trip will be in England and in Berlin. Now I can't because I got the flu. Only the dog and the cat are well! :LOL:

Thank you for the indication of the site!
I am waiting for the second box! Dealing with the food, there is no site that ships with Italy.
I also called the American Embassy in Rome. The man who asked me was surprised and amused. I think he usually replies some questions about Indians, history, American literature and so on. On the contrary, we spoke about turkey, pancakes and gravy! :LOL:
He told me there is a shop inside the Embassy. I don't know if it was an invitation! But I am too shy and I did not ask for coming in even if I'd have loved one trip inside the Embassy in Rome!
However, I am going to use the gravy of IKEA. Its taste is near the one I like. Do you have a recipe for the gravy? Later I will write about the stuffing becuase I would like to know if my recipe is good.

Come and see Italy! If you like arts Florence is the best!

Thank you again! ;)

Annamaria.

Hello AnnaMaria,

The gravy from Ikea is a good idea. I have never tried it. As far as gravy goes, I am not an expert. Perhaps there are other people that could help you out here. My mother could make the most delicius gravy from nothing.

I do make turkey gravy.

It is basically the meat juices with most of the fat removed. You can thicken it with a roux or with cornstarch. Real gravy is made with a flour and grease or butter roux, adding meat juices etc.

Can anybody help here?

If you do go to England you will be amazed how similiar their supermarkets are to American ones. Many of the same products are available there. I love to shop there.

Good luck!

I am really proud of you for calling the Embassy!

Pam

annamaria said:
I am sorry to disappoint you but calabresi women are little, brown and they have moustache! :LOL: I am kidding, of course, as I am a pure… Calabrese! ;) Annamaria.

lol annamaria! ya know, i never noticed that before. here is a picture of one of my favorite italian actresses:

mariacucinotta8qk.png

buckytom said:
annamaria said:
I am sorry to disappoint you but calabresi women are little, brown and they have moustache! :LOL: I am kidding, of course, as I am a pure… Calabrese! ;) Annamaria.

lol annamaria! ya know, i never noticed that before. here is a picture of one of my favorite italian actresses:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It is not valid! maria Grazia Cucinotta is sicilian, she is not calabrese! ;)

Look at this picture and choose your favorite one! (I hope I can add the file). These are "pacchiane".

http://www.sanpompilio.it/albumfoto.htm

I hope I am able to add the site :!:

Good Luck! ;)

Annamaria.

PS: next time I will show you my favourite actor's photo (for women only!)[/img]

buckytom said:
annamaria said:

mariacucinotta8qk.png

Girls, may I introduce to you Mr. Raul Bova?

http://www.bellionline.com/foto.asp?nome=bova44

He is calabrese but he has no moustache! :LOL:

Annamaria.

:P
I would need to see this man in person to be sure that he really looks that great!

I married an Italian boy, my father's family is German. I don't cook like my husband's mama, and he can't stand the smell of sautkraut. We eat a lot of mexican food!

I used to worry that I would never cook like his mom, now we are both glad that I don't. We married young and I had no idea how to cook or run a household....it's a wonder we survived!

chezlesbach said:
:P
I would need to see this man in person to be sure that he really looks that great!

I married an Italian boy, my father's family is German. I don't cook like my husband's mama, and he can't stand the smell of sautkraut. We eat a lot of mexican food!

I used to worry that I would never cook like his mom, now we are both glad that I don't. We married young and I had no idea how to cook or run a household....it's a wonder we survived!

Ciao!

Oh yes, he is wonderful in person! I have met him on the plane for Calabria but I always laugh when I think of it because on that occasion (maybe the most important day of my life) I looked like “something” between Mrs Simpsons coming thruogh Adam’s Family.
I have a favourire singer. When he is in tour I (and other people fool like me) follow him and support. Last summer we went to a city that was very far and with the worst connections so I did not sleep for the whole night and I felt very tired. On the morning, I took the plane for Calabria. The hostesses were strange: they smiled too much. There were sounds of drums, samba rythms and whistles of happiness. I though there was a concert on the plane but it was only the sound of hostesses’ hormones because… Raul Bova was coming into the plane! He wore a hat and sun glasses. I also wore sunglasses but for a different reason! :) I was tired, my hair was named “gone with the wind” as it seemed I had a meeting with a tornado! My eyes had two black shadows that reached my knees and… I met Raul Bova! :shock:
On that day I knew the reasons the planes have locked windows… so you can’t throw you away yourself for desperation! :LOL:

Have you married an Italian? Good luck! ;) I am kidding...don't worry! I don't like Italian men so I married a chinese but now he is like a pure southern Italian with slippers incorporate! I could not escape my destiny... :)
The american men I have met in Usa were very "ideal"! They were very kind to his women, they have many attentions! They were funny. Lovely!
In Italy women generally must do everything at home: cleaning, cooking, taking care of the children and work out of home. Now the situation is changing but the mentality still remains, above all in the south. But I think the fault is of italian mothers...

Raul Bova on a cooking message board.....sort of makes one think more creatively about food.....hmmmm?

annamaria,

If you are still in need of US cooking supplies, contact me. My wife and I are Americans living in Italy and can help you.

Also, you English is much better than my Italian.

Ciao.

Back
Top Bottom