"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 01-04-2005, 04:24 AM   #1
Cook

From Italy - need US site to order measuring cups, etc. from

Hello! Sorry for my English. I am writing from Italy and I should need a help from you. I love american cousine but it is very difficult to find tools and food so into italian shops as on internet shop.

Do you know some US internet site which sells tools and food for Europe?

I am looking for measure cups and spoons and other cookware.

Say hello to your beautiful country!

Thank you.

Annamaria (Rome)

Old 01-04-2005, 11:17 AM   #2
Master Chef

Buon giorno!

"Do you know some US internet site which sells tools and food for Europe?"

Are you looking for internet sites that ship to Italy? And/or are you looking for sites that sell tools that might be used in recipes made in Europe, like metric measuring cups, etc.

What kinds of foods are you interested in?

Roma è una cittÃ* bella!!

Jenny

Old 01-05-2005, 01:45 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Try here: http://www.lakelandlimited.com/is-bi...oAAADjALiEgEQP

If that link does not work, the address is: http://www.lakelandlimited.com

It is a British company so the postage would be less than orderin from the States. Search, measuring cups.

What kind of food are you looking for? Where are you in Italy? Measuring cups are now readily available here, in The Netherlands. If all else fails, I could send you some!

Pam
Old 01-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
Master Chef

annamaria - are you trying to convert the measurements in American recipes to Italian (European) measures?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:10 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Michael, I am an American living in The Netherlands. I have converted recipes before giving them to people, but if people have the measuring cups it makes it much easier.

Thanks to the internet, I think, more and more people are using American recipes. It was quite an adjustment here as many measurements are in grams. The Dutch weigh their flour, sugar etc. I realize the pros do that as well in The States, but it is a different way of doing things.

My father used to send me measuring spoons and measuring cups. Now i can buy them locally.

Pam
Old 01-09-2005, 03:41 AM   #6
Cook

Thank you to all! You are very kind to me!
I was in Boston last month. Beautiful city and very good food!
Yes I am looking for american measure tools but also the injector for the meat and some homeware that I can't find in Italy (waffel maker for exaple). I am looking for some food too like the gravy or the stuffing. I should need the shells for the pie.

I don't know the reason I can't find them in Rome. Many Americans live here...

I will look the site you have suggested to me and then I will tell.

Thank you again!

Annamaria.

PS: I could write you some Italian recipe, if you want. I am not an expert but my children and friends say that my cousine is very good.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:20 AM   #7

Annamaria, I was priviledged to go to the wonderful City of Rome last June, and taste, firsthand, some "authentic" Italian cooking...am very sure that all List members here would like to "die for" your recipes...

Could I put in a first request(s) for recipe's?

Your "recipe's" for pizza...and be very patient with us here, more "text" on contents and methods, the better! Our "pizza" here just doesn't compare with the product on offer there! (Get into the crust making!)

Bruschetta?

A "home" Italian "chicken cacciattori" (forgive my spelling!)

Your thoughts, or methods on veal scallopini?

Making sausage? (Don't know if you do ALL of these things, but it would be a "shame" not to ask, if you did, in fact know!)

Advice on Italian wine vintages would be more than gladly appreciated by many members! (You could be just a "jewel" for us all!)(Search previous pages for our first experiences of "limoncello"-probably misspelling!)

Likewise, please speak on prosciutto!

My first reaction only, be all means, you are most welcome here and we would literally love your input!

While there are a few, if not "several" professional chefs as "members" of this Board, the bulk of the membership are simple "cooks" who are anxious to avail ourselves of newer/better techniques...you might well be the answer to the prayers of many!

My best regards to he management and staff of the Hotel Emona Aquaductus, near Trimini Station in Roma, where we so completely enjoyed our vacation...and to several restaurants in the proximity that fed us so well!

Ciao!

Lifter
Old 01-09-2005, 09:21 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Hi! I just did my best to find an expat site for Americans living in Rome. No luck.

I have never been to Rome, but there has got to be a large cooking store somewhere!?!

There are expat shops here but I rarely go as everything is so incredibly expensive. I use frozen puff pastry for pie crust or make a crumb crust. I do know how to make pie crust, but don't often want to take the time.

I have also given up on finding gravy mixes as they are known in the states. I make my own now, providing there are enough good juices left in the pan. I can give you a recipe for stuffing like my mother always made it.

Do you travel much within Europe? The stuffing is available in Great Britain. Pie crust as well. Not sure about the gravy mixes.

I did eventually find a waffle iron here, but it is not a very thick one. Since then the Belgian waffle irons are available. They are nice and thick with big holes. Do you have Amazon there? I hear lots of people ordering via Amazon for kitchen things. We don't have a Dutch one.

Perhaps you could call the American Consulate and ask them if there is a local shop selling American things. The Amsterdam Airport, Schipol also has a small international supermarket. That is where I always buy my root beer. Maybe the Airport near you would also have something similiar.

Sorry. I am out of ideas.
Let me know if you want the stuffing recipe. I use it for the turkey but it can also be made by itself (with gravy).

Pam

Italian food in Italy is among the best in the world. Perhaps that is why you can't find these American things.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:32 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamaria
PS: I could write you some Italian recipe, if you want. I am not an expert but my children and friends say that my cousine is very good.
PLEASE PLEASE DO!!!! i, for one, would greatly appreciate authentic italian recipes from you. thank you so much in advance...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:34 PM   #10
Master Chef

I think Pam's idea to call the American Consulate and ask them if there is a local shop selling American things is a great idea. They should know if anyone does.

Two other places to check would be your telephone directory and the newspaper. I don't know how the yellow pages of your telephone is catagorized - but look for shops that sell cookware, restaurant supplies, import shops, and "Ethnic" (foods from other cultures) grocery stores. If the largest newspaper in town has a food section (recipes, restaurant reviews, etc.) you might try contacting the person who writes the food column.

As for the meat injector - it's just a large volume (25, 50, 75, or 100 ml/cc) plastic syringe with a long (4-6 inch) large diameter needle. If you can't find one in a cooking store you might try contacting your doctor's office ... explain what you need and why you want it - they might be able to sell you.

As for gravy and stuffing mixes - I don't use them. Gravy is too simple to make and stuffing is generally just based on dried bread or cornbread. For these things you just a recipe more than you need an American packaged mix!

Pie shells, too, are easy to make - you just need a recipe. It really is not much harder than making homemade pasta. I doubt that anyone exports pie shells from America for several reasons, mainly the cost of shipping since the dough must be kept refridgerated. If you can find a pastry shop that sells American style pies - talk to them and they "might" be willing to sell you the ready made dough or shells.

You might have problems finding these food items in Rome because of import restrictions and also because there probably isn't much of a demand for dehydrated preserved packaged foods in a land with such a vibrant culinary history and tradition.